Chapter Five

Lydie watched as her older sister made her way across the foyer, her face lit up like a candle as she spoke with the Yeungs. The Yeungs always gave off an intimidating air. Mrs. Yeung a Defense Lawyer, and Mr. Yeung a Vice Admiral in the Coast Gaurd. Lydie was convinced they were robots because the times that they smiled and laughed were far and in between.

"You're sister's got a gift I wish I had." Roman admired, peering through the back door. "Every time the Yeung's see me I get seconds closer to an emotional breakdown."

"My sister's not dating one of their kids." Lydie quipped, whirling around, she started out onto the patio, handing towels to Dante and Milo.

"She's certainly a charmer..." Milo murmured, grimacing as he tried to dry his hair off with the bright-purple bath towel.

'He's almost exactly like Mazzy's last boyfriend...almost her type...'

Lydie chewed on her lip thoughtfully, a smile playing on her lips for a short few seconds, before it getting cut off by Obidiah.

"So you just gonna stand there plotting?" Dante quipped, looking back at the deck with a disgruntled look on his face.

Lydie's family always referred to her as mischievous, though personally, Lydie personally preferred the term "Active dreamer". After all, big companies wouldn't be around with great dreamers and innovators, and who was to say that she couldn't have her own big company when she got older. Other than her grades, and her last high school principle, Lydie knew she was jet-set for success. 

"Maybe. What's it to you?" Lydie grinned and gave a slight shrug, before turning to Roman "Anyway, Roman, how's it feel knowing you'll be able to see your girlfriend full time?"

"I'm still holding my breath." Roman nodded into the house "There's always a chance that they'll change their mind, and walk right out that door."

Lydie shrugged "I wouldn't worry about it. Between Claudia's manipulation, and Mazzy's charm, she's a shoo-in for staying here."

Dante paused, giving Lydie a curious look. "Wait a second, are you actually staying here?"

Lydie grinned and nodded, her shoulders lifting some with confidence. "That's right, buddy, be scared, I'm here to shake your world."

"I'm concerned for our safety." Obidiah scoffed. "First Claudia and now you? We're in for a nuclear combustion."

"I swear your juvenile."

"You mean you can't see my spin cap with the red blue and yellow?" Obidiah glanced at Dante "She's finally lost it."

Dante grinned "At what point has she had it?"

Before Lydie could respond, Milo jumped in, holding the towel in his hand. "Alright guys, that's enough, Mazzy gave us a job and we're not getting any chicken 'till it's done."

"Aw man, I was told we were getting pizza. When you do projects like this, you always get pizza." Dante whined. 

"Oh please, everyone knows Pizza is for moving in, fried chicken is for group house repairs." Lydie took the towels from Dante and Milo, holding them a distance from her body, she propped a hand on her hip. 

"Somehow that sounds like a southern thing, only." Dante quipped, reaching for a plank of wood.

"No, because if it was southern then it'd be a casserole, and you'd best feel lucky it's not that instead." Lydie paused "It's just a family tradition."

"No, Lydie, let him complain, that just means more for the rest of us." Milo teased, glancing back at the boys. "Alright, now, like I said, let's get back to work, daylights wasting, and so is my patience."

            Lydie took that as her leave, exiting the doc while her mind reeling with thoughts as she entered the kitchen, her thoughts drowning out whatever words her parents were saying. Dropping the wet towels in the washer, Lydie leaned up against it for a second, tapping her finger on her chin. 

Now, she had promised her parents she wouldn't be focusing on boys, but surely, they meant dating them, and they didn't actually mean finding her sister a match.

After all, Mazzy needed somebody to help her get over her last boyfriend, and Lydie certainly could use the "good person" brownie points.

Maybe, if, for once it went to plan then perhaps-

"Lydie just what is going through that pretty head of yours?" Lydie's mother quipped, leaning against the doorframe. "You've completely ignored your father and I for the past five minutes! I'm convinced that our next step was going to have to be blowing up this place!"

Lydie blushed, before giving a slight shrug. "I'm sorry mama, I was just thinking-"

"Lydia Eve, I better not receive a call from you're sister that you've been puttin' yourself in drama that you don't belong in! Honestly sweetheart, remember what I've been telling you, it's best to keep your noes clean!" Miriam scolded.

"Aw c'mon mama, you know I'm just tryin' to help." Lydie let out a frustrated sigh, before quickly composing herself. "So what was it you and daddy needed?"

"We're getting ready to go, and wanted to say good-bye!" Miriam explained as she and Lydie exited the laundry room back into the kitchen.

A sudden twinge of discomfort tugged at Lydie's heart, her attitude faltering ever so slightly.

Lydie was incredibly close to her parents, and now they were going to be oh-so-far away. Now wasn't the time to question her decision, Lydie knew that, but it appeared her logic was battling against heart reason in that matter.

All the while her discomfort sang a tune in the back of her mind, the good-byes began and ended, leaving Lydie standing on the front porch, trying to compose herself.

I will not cry. This is my decision. This is good, I clearly have work to do here, and I'm sure there's something that I can learn from being here. 

"Well look who it is." Claudia teased, cutting into Lydie's thoughts.

Perfect. A Distraction. Just what I need.

Lydie grinned, turning to her old friend, she pulled her into a tight hug. "I'm so happy to see you!"

"Girl what have you been doing to your hair, those curls have more energy then your personality, as impossible as it seems." Claudia chuckled, taking a step back, she crossed her arms. 

"Oh, just a little bit of product and whole lot of prayer." Lydie grinned, propping her hands on her hips. "I can't believe that you're actually standin' here!"

Claudia nodded "Don't I know it. I was holding my breath right up until my dad thumped the dresser up in my room to make sure it was sturdy."

"Was it?"

"How do you think we're standing here having this conversation?" Claudia leaned forward, resting her forearms on the banister. "It feels so good to have a little freedom!"

"I dunno how much freedom you'll have, Mazzy's still pretty strict-"

"Lydie, I swear to God, you've got to have been the most blessed child if you don't understand what type of world this opens up." Claudia shook her head. "I love my parents, but a girl can use space from time to time."

Lydie paused, chewing on her lower lip in thought.

She really shouldn't let that bug her, it wasn't that pointed, and Claudia certainly didn't mean to be rude with that statement.

Somehow, though, it stung a little. Why shouldn't she understand? Her parents were just as strict as the next set of parents...

I need to stop overthinking things...maybe I just need something to eat; I know I get cranky when I'm hungry...

"So, what's you're next big scheme?" Claudia asked, giving Lydie a curious look.

Lydie broke into a grin, glancing back at the door and windows before lowering her head in secrecy.  "Well, my sister happens to have made friend's with this really cute guy..."

And without her knowing, Lydie unveiled her newest plan of mischief, with some heavy repercussions that would follow.