Chapter Six

*                 *                 * 

     Though Claudia wasn't new to her friend's poorly-planned meddling, she always found herself encouraging it more than she'd like. Claudia had told Lydie this repeatedly, however, whether it was Claudia's own descent into insanity or the fact the two had a sister-like bond, she always came around Lydie's way to think. Well, almost always. On occasion Claudia would opt-out, however, like common sense leaving her side, it usually resulted in something tragic. Like Lydie setting the church choir on fire one Christmas Eve. Still, Lydie knew this wouldn't take much convincing.

    "That's him?" Claudia asked, peering out of the cool pane of Lydie's bedroom window.

"Remember her last boyfriend?" Lydie asked knowingly, turning a rogue curl as she watched Milo drill something into the doc. "He's almost exactly like 'im."

Claudia raised an eyebrow, blowing a bubble of peppermint gum, glancing back at Lydie, who had dropped into her office chair, sliding across the room to her desk."Is that a good idea, though?"

"I don't know, maybe?" Lydie sighed, crossing her arms. "They already got sparks flyin', you can tell." 

"That doesn't mean that fire is always waiting to ignite," Claudia warned. "Alright listen, say you were right, say this guy is her prince charming-"

"It makes sense, I mean, she's living in a mansion." Lydie started, watching as her computer system began to boot up.

"Who is she, the Snow White?" Claudia smirked, dropping onto the floor in front of Lydie's window. "Hey, Ellanora."

Lydie whirled around in her chair, excitement bubbling at the prospect of meeting someone new. In the white-wooden doorway stood a tall, blonde girl, with icy blue eyes that could challenge the water on its color. However, that wasn't what struck Lydie the most about this girl; it was the New York City Ballet shirt she was wearing.

Almost instantly, Lydie could feel herself getting excited at yet another idea formulating. "Hey! My sister mentioned that you got here earlier!"

Ellanora gave a smile that Lydie deemed a "politician's smile". The type of smile a public figure would give the world when trying to reassure confidence, even though most everyone could feel the uncertainty radiating off of them.

Luckily for Lydie, hospitality ran through her blood like the recipe for perfect sweet tea and the uncanny capability of getting into trouble.

Seizing the moment to make new friends, and properly secure her newest idea, Lydie stood up, eager to greet Ellanora.

"I wanted to introduce myself," Ellanora said softly, her voice depicting what her body language opposed; the only insecurity coming as Ellanora raised an ink-covered hand awkwardly.

"I'm glad you did! My sister wanted to let you have some time to adjust before we went around bombarden' you." Lydie grinned, motioning to the oddly-shaped chair that sat near the door. "You can have a seat, ya' know."

Ellanora nodded, sitting on the chair cautiously, her face glistening with uncertainties. 

"I'm Lydie, probably the biggest pain in the butt here." Lydie grinned, leaning against her desk with ease. "And this is Claudia."

"What she says is true, about being the pain and the butt, and my name." Claudia shrugged, giving a half-hearted wave.

"And you're Ellanora?" Lydie smiled, glancing over at her computer, Lydie typed in the pin, anxiety rising in her chest.

Twelve new notifications. 

Even when she seemed to avoid them on her phone, they still wanted to follow her around.