Chapter Two

Mazzy was very uncertain of her decision, even as reckoning day rounded the corner. Every spot in her head was filled with doubt and concern. Only the smallest part, perhaps the part God had placed in her, was driving her to continue on. The small part was just enough, but it also felt like nothing at all compared to her worry.

The worry she felt when she crossed the street to talk with her neighbors. The worry that stuck with her as she made her way down main street, trying to mentally run down her shopping list, far to distracted to have actually made a list that had more than a few blotchy ink stains, and another purchase on the other side. She really should develop better habits when it came to making lists. Especially if she was going to have five new lives depending on her.

Five growing, impressionable young women.

They weren't even adults.

Pinching the bridge of her nose, Mazzy stopped in the middle of the sidewalk, taking a moment to turn her attention to the sky. "God, what have I gotten myself into?"

Naturally, her stopping in the middle of the sidewalk disrupted the flow of those who had been making a steady stride, but this didn't affect Mazzy. Her stance moved very little as she turned her attention to a young man that stood across the street in front of the only coffee shop in town (which had the confusing name of Cup of Tea), a forlorn look on his face. In any other circumstance, Mazzy might have thought nothing of it, however, she had known this boy since he was struggling to figure out what he could and couldn't eat.

Surely Mazzy couldn't leave him alone, no matter how desperately she willed her mind to move to the tasks she was required to do.

Oh what a person she was becoming, one of concern for others and very little understanding of timekeeping.

Which was ironic really, since she was naturally a very punctual person who didn't appreciate the slightest second late from herself, or anyone else.

And yet, despite her need to follow her schedule, she found her legs carrying her across the paved street that was otherwise bare besides the few cars that sat on the sides. "Hey Obidiah."

Mazzy wasn't one for natural-sounding greetings, and as the words left her mouth, she already found herself in a sense of discomfort.

Perhaps she had lost her touch when it came to having a conversation with other people?

"Oh hey." Obidiah sighed, glancing back at the store, and then at Mazzy.

"Did you suddenly forget where your mom's shop was or..." Mazzy offered a half-smile, watching as his face fought between an expression of discomfort and a forced smile.

"I-" Obidiah sighed, crossing his arms, he glanced back at the Coffee Shop, and then back at Mazzy. "I was just getting some coffee."

"It looks like you need some more, kid. You're looking a little...peckish?" Mazzy gave Obidiah a curious look, her eyes flitting down to his fingers that fidgeted with his sleeves. "You seem uncomfortable, you sure you're okay?"

"Well, I-" Obidiah seemed to catch himself quite suddenly, his face sliding into an easy smile. "I'm fine, Mazzy."

Mazzy raised an eyebrow as she propped her hands on her hips. She certainly wasn't going to let that go. "Don't go 'round lying to me, Obidiah. I wasn't born yesterday. Now, c'mon, what's on your mind, it's no good to keep it all bottled up like that."

"I said I'm fine, Mazzy, I just...had a run in that has me shook up." Obidiah smiled, flicking his red hair out of his eyes, his face giving the picture of a teen that might have been in an old black and white film. Obidiah had always been someone who appeared to be from a different time, both in act and in appearance.