Chapter Three

STACY

I woke up the next morning with a text from my mystery boy. He said goodnight. Never before had a boy said goodnight to me. I couldn't help but silently squeal in my bed and text him back good morning.

He didn't respond and I thought about how early morning seminary wasn't a luxury for other kids. During seminary, I got a text back. I ignored it because I tried to stay off of my phone during class. Once I was in my car, waiting for my brother Jared, I unlocked my phone and smiled at the text ready for me to read.

"Why are you awake so early!"

"Seminary."

"God shouldn't have you get up so early for some bible class."

"Actually, we're learning about the Book of Mormon this semester."

"You get crazier and crazier by the minute." 🤪

I giggled and my brother asked me what I was giggling at as he entered the car.

"Oh," I responded, "I'm just texting some boy."

"You? Boys?" He teased. I pushed at his shoulder and he chuckled. He held his hands up in surrender because he knew that I could beat him in a wrestling match. "What's his name?"

I hesitated to answer. "I don't know."

"You're texting some random guy? Isn't that dangerous or something?" I shrugged.

"He doesn't know mine and we haven't exchanged where we live. Which I won't. It's just nice to have a friend for a change."

My brother sadly smiled. We drove to school and after going to my locker I slipped into my first period classroom and squeezed into my desk.

"How did your dinner go with your mom's boyfriend?"

"Terrible. He wouldn't stop talking about taking my mom and I out on his new boat."

"I'm jealous, I've never been on a boat!"

"You wouldn't want to go on one that is offered by James."

"Is James your mom's boyfriend?"

"Can't believe you learned that putts' name before mine."

"Your fault for spilling the beans."

"Is there anytime soon that you'll slip yours?"

"Nope."

"I still don't even know your age. I gave you mine. 18."

"Maybe if we're still texting in a week's time."

"Sure, whatever."

NICK

"Dude," I looked up from my phone and right as I did, I watched as a familiar girl walked by smiling down at her phone. I turned my attention over to Kyle and he chuckled.

"What man?" I asked.

"I asked if you were coming tomorrow. You know ... Dan's party?"