Chapter Twenty-Nine

STACY

I opened my eyes and they searched the strange ceiling above me. Then they wandered to the window then the small TV hanging from the wall. Next was the window that looked out to a hallway. The door was ajar and a man in a white coat walked past my room. I was in a hospital.

What happened? I questioned. Why am I in a hospital room? I went to sit up but I felt pain in my neck and fingers. I moved my tender fingers up to my neck and felt a brace. I broke my neck? How? Then I looked at my hands, they were bandaged. I began to hyperventilate thinking about how playing the piano might be a lost art for me. Not that I wanted to be a famous concert pianist but because it was the only thing people ever compliment me on.

My breathing stopped drastically as I took in the skinny wrists I wore. They're ... thin ... I can actually see my boney elbow and wrist! The breathing started back up. The heart monitor I was hooked up to began going off. A nurse and a doctor soon entered my room and I didn't recognize them. I couldn't study them efficiently because my vision was blurry.

"Good morning, Miss. Travie. Finally decided to wake up, I see." The doctor began checking my vital signs as the nurse assisted him. "I'm Doctor Petersen." The nurse slipped my glasses onto my face and I was able to see her and the doctor more clearly.

"Dr. Petersen," I began, "what happened? Why am I in here? How—How long have I been asleep for?"

"A week exactly. You were in an accident."

"Where's my family!?" My first tuition. If I was in an accident, that meant I must have been driving with my family, right? Or was I in one on my own?

"Your family is all well and fine. Actually, you have probably caused them much grief and stress being asleep for so long."

I looked down as best I could after the nurse assisted me to a sitting position. I was skinny ... .

"Doc, you said I was in it for a week. How come I've lost so much weight?"

"What do you mean? You've only lost maybe two or three pounds laying here for only a week."

"But," I swallowed. "I used to be over two-hundred pounds."

"My, your parents did say you were slightly overweight, I did not know the transformation you have gone through. Congratulations." He went back to his clipboard and I was stuck dumb. "Call her parents."

"No, Dr. Petersen," I persisted. "I don't remember losing any of that weight." I looked around the room. "Am I in a dream?" I began hyperventilating again. "Is this a dream? I'm so confused. What happened? How did I get into an accident?" The doctor tried calming me down. "Where is my mom and dad? Where are my brothers? What happened? What happened to my hands!"

After being told that I was heading home from a job interview and almost hitting a deer and ending up rolling off the side of the road, my parents finally came.

Mom, dad, John, Laura, Matthew, Jared, Rick, Ryan, and some girl that held Matthew's hand.

They gave me all hugs and kisses, even the random girl Matt was with.

"Who are you?" I questioned. Everyone looked around at one another after the random girl gave me a hug. She was pretty and tall and skinny and I couldn't remember ever meeting her.

"I'm ... Kelly, Matthew's girlfriend ... Do you not remember me?"

"She doesn't remember her weight loss either." Everyone turned to Dr. Petersen who invited himself into the room. "Amnesia."

"Amnesia?" My brothers and parents said together. Jared grabbed my hand gently.

"Stace, what year is it?" He asked with narrowed eyebrows.