New Inmate

High gusts of wind blow clouds of dust through the courtyard of Miami-Dade Prison. The sun beats down waves of heat upon the hundreds of orange uniforms worn by the prisoners. Calloused hands grip the wired fence blocking off dozens of women fixing their gaze on the dirt road miles away; hunger and anticipation burn in their eyes.

Prison guard, Lauren Jauregui, knew that look all too well. Working at the facility for over five years now, she knew that fresh meat was arriving. The bus carrying new prisoners was scheduled to arrive soon.

A bead of sweat began to run down Jauregui's temple. The tall prison guard removed her black cap, wiped the sweat off with her forearm and placed the cap back on her head. Her long dark hair was up in a ponytail and she wore dark reflective shades that hid intimidating green eyes. The 27-year old guard hated the outside shifts in the peak of July heat. She was thankful that the light blue top of her required uniform was short sleeved and she didn't mind the black slacks either. The high temperatures were too much to bear sometimes, but she had a job to do and she made sure to do it well.

Something caught her eye in the distance on the dirt road. The grungy white prison bus was finally making an appearance. The women behind the barbed wire fence were practically climbing on top of each other waiting for the bus to arrive.

Jauregui shifted her gaze from the approaching vehicle to Simon Cowell, another prison guard, who was coming her way. He was a tall muscular man that was rough around the edges. He had a permanent scar on his face that ran from his upper lip to the bottom on the right side. Cowell received the injury during a prison incident four years earlier. An inmate had made a knife-like weapon attempting to escape and Cowell got caught in the mess of things. The middle aged man nodded to Jauregui as he came and stood beside her.

"How many are coming in today?" he asked, his voice strident and deep.

"Five," Jauregui replied.

The large white bus pulled in through the main gate and came to a stop right beside Jauregui and Cowell. The women behind the wired fence began to hoot and holler loud obscenities as the bus door swung open. An officer stepped off the bus first and was soon followed by the new fab five.

Jauregui watched from a few feet away as the women filed out of the bus. They stood in a line side by side, each with another prisoner handcuffed to their wrist.

Cowell paced down the line in front of the new arrivals and began to bark his usual welcoming to the women's prison. Well, not exactly a welcoming, more like rules of do's and don'ts.

The green eyed began to scan the face of each woman, going down the row one by one with her eyes. All of them had the same look. Expressions of uncertainty, regret or how the hell did I wind up here? Except for one. The last one down the row. She was the shortest one of them all, standing no taller than
5ft' 2in. The length of her brunette hair stopped just past her shoulder and she had a cute face. Judging by the muscles in her arms, exposed by her gray tank top, the girl definitely worked out. Jauregui assumed that her legs were just as defined but she couldn't tell with baggy cargo pants.

The brunette glanced at the loud prison guard with a bored expression and then lightly kicked the dirt below her booted feet. Jauregui tore her eyes away and walked over to the entryway of where the new arrivals would be headed.

"Okay, ladies! Let's move! Follow me!" Cowell began to lead the five prisoners past the fence that restrained the rowdy women of Miami Prison. The fence shook and rattled as the prisoners banged trying to get the newbies' attention.

Jauregui stood tall by the entryway into the building as the women filed past her. Handcuffed chains lightly clinked together as they went by. The brunette was the last. Her eyes flickered up to meet Jauregui's concealing shades.

Those were the most gorgeous chocolate eyes the dark haired had ever seen

Those were the most gorgeous chocolate eyes the dark haired had ever seen. As the smaller woman passed, Jauregui noticed the sexy crooked smile that curved the prisoner's lips. Her stomach actually got butterflies. It was the first time a prisoner's unabashed look had an effect on her. She shook it off quickly and proceeded to follow the line, guarding the rear. And what a nice rear it was. Jauregui couldn't help but let her eyes drop to the brunette's ass every once and a while. Those cargo pants fit her well.

They walked down a darkened narrow hallway made of solid brick, colored an odd gray pigment. The tiled floor covered in black scuff marks squeaked beneath rubber soles. Turner led the women into a large room, which was just as cold feeling as the hallway. Jauregui remained by the doorway.

Veronica, a fellow officer and friend, sat at a long table in the center of the room. She was in charge of fingerprinting. "Alright, ladies step right up, don't be shy," the heavyset woman smirked.

All five prisoners had their fingers dabbed in black ink and were soon moved into a room further back. Cowell stayed near the door and closed it after the brunette went in last. The prisoners would soon be greeted by three female officers who would be performing the infamous cavity search.

An hour later, the new prisoners were sent to the showers, handed their very own orange getup, and then led to their cells. Jauregui unlocked the steel bar jail cell and slid the door open for her last prisoner. The brunette stepped past Jauregui, not acknowledging her at all. The earlier look of interest had faded. The guard closed the cell door as the prisoner hopped onto the top bunk of her new bed. The new inmate was in the small quarters alone...for now. She would have a cellmate soon enough. Jauregui gave her one last glance before locking the door and walking away.