•TWO•

It's the day. At least 10 unlucky Avas will get reaped and sent into a game of life and death. Fingers crossed the odds are finally in my favour one time in my life. I've barely got any sleep and can hardly eat from all of the nerves. Please, please, just don't let it be me! There must be enough Maintainers that have broken rules to be able to keep to only ten Avas, right? I'm only a teenager, I don't want to have my future torn away...

We had to dress "nicely" today, as requested by the Peacekeepers. I'm not exactly sure how that's going to happen, as it's mandatory to wear the same white ARI uniform every day, with hair longer than 10 inches tied up. We're not allowed to bring in our own clothes for special occasions, either. Trying my best, I attempted to tie my lilac hair into an elegant-looking braided bun. It was messy, but at least I can say I tried. I also quickly tucked the butterfly necklace I was given as a gift a couple months ago under my uniform as a good luck symbol. I don't even believe in "good luck symbols", but it's comforting on a day like this. Hiding it under my bed didn't go to waste.

The time seemed to be going by so fast but so slow at the same time. I basically froze in fear every time I caught a glimpse of a clock and realised the possibility of fighting to my death is coming nearer every second. I regret everything I did to come to the ARI in the first place now. Just let me turn back time to when I was younger. No, let me go back further, 50 years ago, and stop the rebellion from happening.

I gripped my butterfly necklace for comfort, hoping that it could really be enchanted with good luck. I've heard there's an Overseer of Luck, maybe they'll take pity on me or something. Maybe they just hate me anyway, and that's why I'm stuck in this situation.

It was inevitable; the time finally came for the Reaping to commence. My shaky palms, covered in sweat, held eachother. It could be any one of us, the odds like to play tricks on us. I listened out for the names carefully as a representative from the richer part of Overseerian society spoke in her ridiculous accent.

2 names called out, still not mine. 5 now, as an anxious boy walked up to the stage. Finally, 10 names. I was safe. Well, at least I thought I was.

Just after "Jaymi Phoenix!" was called up, the woman up on stage ended her list with... Penelope Woods. My name.

I felt like my legs were going to snap right there due to how much they were shaking. My stomach was filled with butterflies and I had a feeling like I was going to throw up. I took a step towards the stage, watching the hundreds of eyes focus on one unlucky person. And then another. It felt like I was almost in slow motion. Gradually I arrived on the stage, trying my best to smile to the audience. I think they could see my hands shaking as I waved.

This was being showcased live on TV. Overseers looking at my awkward expression as I resisted the urge to just cry. This was it. I was now in the Hunger Games and I doubt I would be able to win. I haven't got powerful magic, good fighting skills or the charisma to get people on my side. I'll be stuck with no sponsors, probably killed on the first day. At least they still get an interesting show if I'm not involved much.

I guess the Overseer of Luck must really despise me then. Yay! Not even my little butterfly charm could help me out of here, and butterflies have been my symbol for years. They can just fly away and live in peaceful lands full of flowers and clear, sunny skies. I wish I could do that right now. Away from the ARI, the Games, this messed up society. I wouldn't miss it a bit.