Chapter 3

Jack woke around eight. He walked over to Krystall's bed and saw that she was still sleeping peacefully.

He was grateful for that since she told him about having nightmares. May have been what he told her or just his presence in general that allowed her to sleep through the night.

He quietly left the room to check on his charge's parents.

The man was asleep on the couch, and the TV was still on.

Jack forced cold air on the man, and he shivered, pulling the blanket upward in his sleep. Jack smirked.

He went to the Master bedroom and saw that the woman was awake, looking out the window.

He quickly but carefully closed the door before the woman could believe the door opened on its own.

Jack went back to Krystall's room so as not to worry her if she awoke, believing he left without a word.

She woke up a little past 9:30, and he was there by her side to greet her.

"Good morning, kiddo," he said with a smile. "Looks like you had a good sleep."

"I dreamt I was living in an igloo."

Jack chuckled, "You did, huh?"

"I did," She answered happily. "It was somewhere at the North Pole."

Jack's smile widened, "Was it near Santa's workshop?"

She shook her head, no.

"You were there. You built the igloo for me."

"Did I make it well?"

"It was big. You can stand up in it. You can make anything!"

"Will, almost," He sat on the edge of her bed, now. "I've never, actually, made an igloo before." He ruffled up her hair, "But today's going to change that."

Krystall jumped on her bed in happiness, "Yay!"

Jack quickly stood up, holding her arms to make sure she wouldn't fall off.

"Careful! Careful!"

She only laughed, jumping one last time before landing on her knees on the bed.

He shook his head and laughed.

Suddenly, the door opened, and the two looked to see who it was.

It was the mother, and Jack could now see her face clearly. The bandage on her forehead went from her eyebrow to almost touching her hairline. He even saw a small bruise on the cheekbone, on the same side.

"Who are you talking to, sweetheart?"

Jack told Krystall, "Just tell her you're talking to your imaginary friend."

She smiled and answered her, "I'm talking to my imaginary friend."

"Oh?" her mom asked, with a smile. "What's their name?"

"His name is Jack."

Her mom walked in, stopping at her bed. "Hello, Jack," she said, looking beside her daughter.

He had since moved to the end of the bed, and Krystall redirected her mom to that spot.

"He's over there," she pointed.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Hello, Jack," she repeated. "I'm Krystall's mom."

"He says hello. And he knows who you are."

Krystall crawled to where Jack was, then turned toward her mom as she sat on the end of the bed. "He's been here since last night. He says he's my Guardian, and he also checked to see if you were okay."