The Snuggly Duckling

Dear.  God.  This chapter was a PAIN.

I still don't like it that much, but it's better than it WAS, at any rate.

________________________________________________________________________________

Alfred approached Tolys.

"Tolys?" he repeated. "You okay?"

"This would kill him," Tolys choked out, staring at the ground.

"Kill--who?" Alfred asked.

"My father," Tolys responded, looking up at Alfred. "He's always tried so hard to protect me, and I'm going behind his back to do this."

"Do you not want to go?" Alfred asked. "It's okay if you don't."

"No! No, I do, it's just--I don't want to hurt him," Tolys said.

"Well, if you really want to, then he'd understand!" Alfred said. That was what you did when you loved someone, after all.

"You think so?" Tolys asked. The chameleon didn't seem convinced.

"Course! And it's not like anything bad could happen to you when the Hero is here to protect you!" Alfred said. "Come on. This way."

He led Tolys into the woods; as they walked, Tolys introduced him to his chameleon (Eduard), and Alfred regaled him about the exploits of Robin Hood.

________________________________________________________________________________

As Ivan went deeper into the woods, he paused as he saw a lone horse that had a saddle fastened to it.

"Ah! Hello, horse!" Ivan said cheerily. The horse eyed him suspiciously. "Where is your rider?"

The horse, of course, didn't answer. It put its snout to the ground and sniffed, apparently trying to pick up a scent of some kind.

A horse without a rider...

A cold feeling of dread settled over him.

"Tolys," Ivan said.

He turned and ran back towards the tower. The horse's rider had better hope Tolys was alone and unhurt. He'd already lost his brothers.

He couldn't lose Tolys as well.

________________________________________________________________________________

"Alfred?" Tolys asked as they came building--a sign called it the Snuggly Duckling. "What's this place?"

"It's the tavern Mattie and I crash at," Alfred said. "I was thinking we should stay here for the night."

It was getting late—the sun had already set, and it was getting cold.

"Who's all in there?" Tolys said, remembering some of the things Ivan had warned him about, and grabbing Alfred's arm. "Thugs? Men with pointy teeth?"

Alfred let out a loud, boisterous laugh.

"Don't be silly, Tolys, they're alright! And I don't think anyone has pointy teeth. I'm not sure that's possible," he said.

Still, Tolys didn't let go of Alfred's arm as they went inside.

When they entered, everyone went quiet.

"They're staring at us. Why are they staring at us?" Tolys whispered anxiously.

"Dunno," Alfred said. "You'd think they'd never seen me walk through a door before."