chapter 9: collapsed

Still kneeling on the floor of the bathroom, Valentina quickly looked behind her towards Lucho before returning her gaze to Juliana. He had yet to notice the two girls' presence and continued to thrash around, tugging at the ties on his limbs as muffled gasps of frustration escaped his mouth.

Valentina and Juliana matched the same expression: a creased brow of worry.

"It'll be okay" Juliana whispered to Valentina comfortingly. "I'll be right here next to you. We'll figure this out, okay?"

Valentina relaxed at Juliana's words, her sweet and melodic tone like music to her ears. She smiled weakly with a light nod, grateful for Juliana's warmth.

The shorter girl placed a hand on the counter before slowly attempting to stand up, grimacing and muffling a quiet groan from her lips as Valentina snaked a gentle arm around her waist, helping her up.

"Gracias." She said with a smile. "Ready?" She whispered again, gesturing to the room.

Valentina just stood there, looking back at Juliana nervously. Her emotions were getting the best of her as she thought of what was to happen next. She had dreamed of confronting Lucho about their relationship for weeks now, but at this moment her mind only drew a blank. She was angry and frustrated with him but also scared. Was today going to be the day that she was to lose one of her childhood best friends...and boyfriend?

It's for the best.

Juliana reached over and lightly squeezed her hand before interlocking their fingers together, making Valentina's dampened spirits make way for a wave of butterflies erupting in her stomach. She sucked in a quick breath of air before smiling confidently back at her and nodding.

Juliana painfully straightened her body to appear more confident before leading Valentina out of the bathroom. As soon as her dark head of hair peered out of the door frame, Lucho looked up at her. Confusion distorted his features before realization hit. His eyes turned to slits and his lip curled underneath the scarf in his mouth.

Though his presence was menacing, Juliana remained unafraid. She felt Valentina hesitate against her grasp once her eyes met Lucho's, but within a second she was back in step with the dark haired girl.

They stood a couple of steps from the bed as Valentina thought of what to say. Lucho continued to look between the two of them, his body beginning to shake from the anger building inside.

Juliana could also feel the tension Valentina was enduring beside her—and not just because she was now squeezing the living hell out of her hand.

She lightly nudged the taller girl, gesturing for her to speak to Lucho before the awkward silence threatened to swallow them whole. The look she received from Valentina, however, made a shiver run down her spine.

Her bright blue orbs were now dark and vacant: full of hate.

Before she knew it, Valentina suddenly let go of her hand and quickly walked to the edge of the bed. The rage radiating off of her body was even enough for Lucho to stir uncomfortably, his eyes now emitting a little bit of fear. He pushed himself on the bed so that now his back leaned against the headboard, awaiting Valentina's response.

Her breathing was heavy, her jaw and fists clenched as tears threatened their way out. Looking at him triggered all of the emotions she had been bottling up for the last two months and now she didn't know how to cope. She felt lost and confused in her pain...but mostly angry.

So. Angry.

Without a second thought her hand came up and shot swiftly across Lucho's cheek, making him yell out.