chapter 10: underlying feelings

Approximately 6 hours later and Valentina has yet to see Juliana after her surgery.

Valentina had been pacing back and forth in the waiting room for the last 4 before a nurse interrupted her wild thoughts, informing her that the operation was successful and Juliana was resting.

She chewed nervously on her nails, nodding and thanking God in her head that Juliana was okay as the nurse spoke.

"Can I go and see her?" Valentina asked desperately, her tone eager.

Valentina watched as the small nurse looked back at her, hesitating a moment with an expression of pity. Her lips drew into a sad frown as she shook her head. "I'm sorry Miss Carvajal, but only direct family are allowed to see her at the moment".

A twinge of anger and annoyance flushed through the model. She rolled her eyes and bit the inside of her cheek in frustration.

"Please. I just want to make sure she's okay, I promise I'll leave right after I see her" she continued to beg, but to no avail.

The nurse shook her head with remorse. "I'm really sorry Miss Carvajal but I can't. Hospital policy. Have you tried calling one of her parents or a sibling perhaps?"

Valentina rolled her eyes. Of course she didn't have any of Juliana's contact information because she barely knew anything about the girl's family.

"Uh-no. Thanks anyways," she said back a little too bitterly.

As she went to turn away, she heard the nurse's voice call from behind her. "I'll let you know as soon as she wakes up or if anything changes!"

Valentina just nodded back to her before waving her off.

stupid hospital rules. She thought to herself as she slumped into a nearby chair, arms dramatically strewn across her chest as a frustrated line creased her forehead.

"Mi amor" Lucia spoke from the chair beside her. She set down the magazine in her hands before placing a comforting arm over the girl's shoulders. "You'll get to see her, just be patient. The good news is that she's okay, right?"

Valentina let out a loud huff, rolling her eyes slightly at Lucia's comment without looking at her. She ran her hands through her hair and sat forward in the chair suddenly as Lucia recoiled her arm with a heavy sigh.

Of course she was happy Juliana was okay, but nothing mattered more to her than actually seeing her in person. She wanted to see for herself that Juliana was peacefully sleeping, and to be there by her side when she woke up.

Her grumbling tummy and the lack of sleep didn't help her emotions from spiraling out of control either. She was frustrated and hangry, her hands stressfully ran through her hair one more time before covering her face and taking in a deep breath.

Lucia rubbed her back in comfort, knowing the girl was stressed and could probably use some sleep.

"Va-"

"I just don't understand" Valentina said unexpectedly, interrupting Lucia and making her jump.

"I don't understand why they won't let me—" she stopped, her cheeks suddenly flushed as she eyed Lucia nervously. "I mean us...in there to see her. We're the ones who brought her here"

She leaned back again in the chair, her head stretched back as she closed her eyes, drawing in a deep breath.

Lucia found Valentina's hand and gently squeezed it in comfort with a heavy sigh. "Valentina, maybe you should go home and get some rest. It's very late and you've been here a long time. I can stay with Juliana and call you when she wakes up"