11. Cafeteria

I went from skipping songs to skipping shows on television to reading a book I haven't gotten to because of school.

  By the time I had gotten bored of all of those things it was only noon. The Signs Dance started at nine. I doubted anyone would want to stop prepping for the dance just to hang out with me.

  However, I decided I should probably go check.

  When I said I wouldn't leave my room, I should have specified. I won't leave my room to go to the dance. I will leave my room to eat and/or find another sign that found this dance as stupid as I did and is deciding not to go.

  Which leads me to where I am now: in the cafeteria with about ten other students. The man behind the counter watched as I picked out a bowl of Cheerios and three cartons of milk. I set the food in front of him and he gave me a polite smile.

  "Any more and we might have to buy another cow," he muttered.

  "I concur. Sometimes I feel like I drink too much milk. However, you know what they say, 'if you drink your milk you'll grow up to be big and strong.' I wish they specified," I replied dryly.

  His serious face cracked with a smirk. "That'll be three dollars and fifteen cents."

  "Who made up these wacky prices?" I complained. "As if anyone ever has fifteen cents lying around on their person."

  "I concur," he repeated.

  I gave him a side glance. "Are you mocking me?"

  "Only if you believe it so."

  "Interesting. Did you go to school here?"

  The man shrugged. He wasn't wearing a uniform of any sort. Zodiacs usually wore suits or something formal at all times. Students wore blank shirts and any legwear without designs for classes. Outside of classes, we were allowed to wear anything. He was currently wearing a perfect fit T-shirt with the ACDC symbol and black jeans.

  "So, you didn't go to school here? I thought everyone did."

  "Nah, I went to school here. Still do."

  I started. "What? But you look in your twenties."

  He nodded. "Just because you graduate doesn't mean you don't have to go to classes. Call me Gordon. Taurus."

  I grabbed his outstretched hand. "Aquarius. Aquarius born."

  "Ah, a businesswoman."

  My turn to shrug. "What better job than one that guarantees a future?"

  He grabbed my card and swiped it. "An exciting one." Handing me back my card, he smiled. "Enjoy your late breakfast, Aquarius."

  I turned around to see five of the students had left the cafeteria. Leaving only five left scattered around the room. I picked a random table to sit at. I wasn't going to attempt to sit next to one of the remaining students and they ignore me or leave the table altogether.

  I poured one milk carton into my cereal and scanned the students. A Cancer, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Leo, and Pisces. Just by the look of them I could tell what sign they were. Of course, studying different signs for twelve years could do that to you.

  Learning about the different signs and what they could do and should do was the first twelve years of your educational life. After that, it was solely learning your specific roles. I figured after you graduated your twentieth year you didn't have to do school any longer. But after hearing Gordon talk about still being taught, I wasn't so sure.

  Of course, the man could be twenty. But he didn't look like it. I glanced at Gordon again. He was sitting behind the counter with the most bored expression I have ever seen. It was a slow day. More than half the school was probably forgetting to eat because of the Signs Dance.

  Food was more important than some silly dance.

  A thought stabbed my brain. My spoon fell a little too suddenly into my bowl, making the milk splash around. What if the Zodiacs were testing us?

  The professor said it himself: some of their best students had been kicked out just because of a little temptation. What if the Zodiacs were testing to see if we could resist?

  And those who didn't were thrown out. And those who were thrown out just give them more students in the future.

  That was a cruel way to test people. I wonder if they would throw out even the smartest of their students. Just because of something as small as a kiss, would they throw out their smartest student?

  "A penny for your thoughts?"

  A person sat beside me, obstructing my view of Gordon -who I had unknowingly kept staring at. The person's tray bumped mine and my milk began to slosh around once again.

  I picked up my spoon. "No. I'd like to keep them to myself, thank you."

  "Fair enough."

  I took a spoonful of Cheerios before looking up at the sign to interrupt my heavy thoughts. Quickly clamping a hand over my mouth was the only option I had to refrain from spitting my cereal onto the boy beside me.

  While I was swallowing roughly, he gave me a weird look. "Cho?"

  "Yeah?"

  "What are you doing here?"

  He blinked at me. "I'll pretend like you didn't just insult me and answer you. I'm eating. What does it look like?"

  I set my spoon down. "Why aren't you doing your hair or something for the dance?"

  "I don't do dances," he replied blithely.

  I stared at him with wide blue eyes.

  "What is wrong with you?" he asked.

  "What is wrong with you?" I asked. He was acting weird. He hasn't smiled cheekily once. Or hit on me. Or do anything Cho-like.

  "I don't even know how to answer you." He picked up his tray. "I'll just leave you alone then."

  I grabbed his wrist without thinking. "Um," I murmured, trying not to be surprised that I did want some sort of company.

  "If you make my food fall, I'm eating yours."

  "Sit back down. Why are you acting so weird?"

  "I haven't had my coffee yet," he replied sarcastically. He placed his tray back and sat an inch farther away from me than before.

  "You're not going to the dance?" I asked.

  He shook his head, shoveling a bite into his mouth. He finished chewing and swallowing before verbally answering. "Nope. I'm planning on staying in my room watching old movies. Who are you going with?"

  "Assuming I'm going?"

  He took another bite. Glancing up at me with his very dark brown eyes he stopped. "You're not going either?"

  I shook my head. Why was he acting so... normal? Had he always been putting on a show? Had I judged him too soon?

  "I don't feel like participating in a dumb dance."

  "What were you planning to do?"

  Knowing where this conversation was headed, I answered truthfully. "Stay in my room. I didn't get farther than that part."

  "Do you want to watch old movies?"

  I'm glad I wasn't holding my spoon. Dropping it again would have been the most idiotic thing I've ever done. Including that one incident years ago.

  Once again, I did something my bad luck will try its best to relish in. I shrugged my shoulders and said, "Yeah, why not?"

  And surprisingly, Cho gave me a genuine smile. "Cool."