22. Interrogation

Finding Char wasn't very hard. He was sitting in the library reading a German book. Beside him were multiple books in multiple other languages. I suppose he didn't share the same hatred for being a linguist as Jaxson does.

  He looked up with his glowing yellow eyes when we stood beside the table he was occupying. "What do you want?" he mumbled.

  Jaxson pushed past us and slammed the book shut. "German? I thought you liked others better."

  Char's whole demeanor changed and he smiled wickedly. "I do." He waved his hand at the vast array of books beside him. "Take your pick."

  "As much as I missed... that she didn't drag me here to read." He stuck his thumb over his shoulder, pointing at me.

  Char's eyes slipped past Jaxson and looked at me. "Lovely to see you again, Aquarius. Jenny." He nodded at us both.

  "Pleasures all ours," Jenny growled.

  "We're here bothering you because you're the only one Jaxson said he considers a friend. And apparently, we will be held hostage by the Zodiacs until they trust us," I informed, crossing my arms.

  Char didn't intimidate me. Sure, he looked scary, those eyes were killer, and he did try to hurt me once but I still wouldn't allow him to get under my skin. He was just another Sign.

  "Then I suppose I should be flattered. Your company isn't the worst thing I've endured. When are you going to see the Zodiacs?"

  "Whenever we're done here. I thought they would already be tracking us down by now. Don't they have security cameras?" I asked.

"They do. I've seen them around," Jenny answered.

  "They already know you're here. They probably wanted to see where you'd go before seeing them. What you'd say. What you'd do," Char said smoothly.

  I wonder why he never stood out in the shared Air class before. He was definitely a memorable character. But I don't ever recall seeing him in class. Maybe he didn't go? No, he had to at least once. It was a required class.

  "Then you guys should get going," Cho stated. "We don't want to make them believe you are avoiding them."

  "What makes you think they think anything by themselves, Cho?" Char tapped the table in a rhythmic beat. His cheeks pulling into a wide grin.

  Cho paused. "I don't know you."

  "I know everyone," Char replied.

  "Alright," I said dismissively, "why don't we go see the Zodiacs?"

°^°^°

  The Zodiacs did not look pleased as we walked back to the building they resided in once more. The Aquarius Zodiac stood away from the group, conversing with the Gemini Zodiac. They looked like they were having a heated discussion.

  "Signs. Welcome back to the academy," greeted one of the other Zodiacs.

  "We have to take precautions because of your unprepared kidnappings, and your Zodiac leaders should be able to help you shortly."

  The remaining Zodiacs pushed us in the direction of the building. This was slightly intimidating. I felt nervous. But I had nothing to hide. I would be able to pass anything they throw at me. I was still a Sign.

  Leading us into a waiting room, they told us to sit and wait for our head Zodiacs to come get us. We sat down and they all disappeared. Well, Capricorn Zodiac sat behind the desk and started shuffling through papers. Everyone else scattered. They were probably returning back to their own respective jobs for the academy.