19. Apple Tree

My wrists were constantly burning. Did this always happen after people had their hands tied? They could have put something between the ropes and zip ties and my skin.

  I rubbed my wrists as Adeline snapped her fingers once again. "Listen to me while I'm speaking, young lady."

  "What do I get if I do?" I was irritable. And she was pushing every button to push me over the edge.

  She crossed her arms. "Food. Now, listen to me."

  It turned out, Adeline had refused to give me dinner because of my behaviour. Jaxson was on his way to give me food anyway. Three hours after everybody else had eaten. What woman who claims to be your mother would starve you?

  They had taken me to a tiled room with computers set up on every open tablespace. Adeline had been very unhappy that she had to wait for me to take a short shower to get all of the baby powder off of myself. They had set my hands free while a man stood at the door like a bodyguard. I had waved at him with a cheeky smile and he only sniffed. He had rude manners. I had started calling him Joe.

  I stuck my thumb over my shoulder, gesturing at him. "I'd rather listen to Joe."

  Adeline frowned and squinted her eyes. Jaxson burst with laughter. "That's Gavin," Adeline deadpanned.

  Looking back at Gavin, I waved apologetically. "Sorry, Gavin." Again, the only response I got was a sniff.

  "We need your help," Adeline sighed over Jaxson's bubbling laughter.

  "I don't want to help you. I want to go home."

  "This is your home."

  "No," I shouted, "this is your home! Not mine and not his!" I pointed to Jaxson.

  He stood up and covered his mouth. "Poor Gavin," he said simply.

  Adeline scowled. "Stop saying that. This is your home. We are here for you. All you need to do is help us."

  "But I don't want to! I'm going to graduate and become a Zodiac. That's what I have been studying to do for my entire life!"

  "Had it been up to me, you wouldn't have been growing up in that place," she yelled back. "Stop disobeying me for once and just help us destroy the system!"

  "No!"

  "Enough!" Jaxson shouted. "I'm tired of your bickering. Are you guys children? Then leave, Aqua. Go. We don't want to force you to help our cause if you're just going to tell everything to the Zodiacs once you get the chance."

  "Finally! One decent thing you've said since you kidnapped me and threw me to a woman who believes she can save the world from nothing." I walked away from them and toward Gavin, formerly known as Joe.

  "The system is corrupt," Adeline seethed behind me.

  "And your alternative isn't?" I countered.

  Gavin stood before me like a boulder. He looked down at me with his blue eyes. "I can't let you pass," he said gruffly.

  I sighed. "What is it and this place with saying they can't. You can and you will. So move the fuck away so I can go home."

  He looked over my shoulder. I assumed he was looking at Adeline for permission. He stepped away from the door. Jaxson must have convinced her to let me leave.

  The moment that door was in sight, I opened it and left. There was nothing keeping me here. I needed to see Jenny. I needed to make it back home.