Hostile Mob Headcanons: Skeleton

But...he's dead.

That's all you can think as you rush back into your dirt hut, slamming the wooden door behind you and pressing yourself against the earthen walls. You haven't found any sheep yet, so there's absolutely no chance that you can just sleep the night away, unworried about the monsters outside.

You glance back out again, and as the sun slowly peeks over the top of a mountain behind you, the skeleton stares you in the eye from underneath a tree. He won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

You can't go out without killing him, and all you have is a modified stick to defend yourself. And what if there are other monsters outside, waiting? You're scared to your core. You know he could kill you, even from that far away.

But he'd kill you just as well if you wait until night.

Taking a deep breath and grabbing your wooden sword, you open the door and charge.

But as the battle commences, something whispers in the back of your mind:

What does he even want?

...

- They are the reanimated bones of deceased villagers, brought back by witches (who were trying their hands at a necromancy spell). It soon got out of hand, however, as the skeletons didn't respond to the witches' attempts to have them obey commands, and there were far too many skeletons already. Disgusted, the witches vowed never to interfere with villager skeletons again, and now, skeletons roam the Overworld, the bows that the witches gave them still in their cold hands.

- They may not react to witches, but they absolutely hate players. Perhaps it's because they look like them (but if that's the case, why not attack zombies and villagers?). Perhaps it's due to the fact they know players keep tamed wolves, which eat bones. Perhaps it's because they sense that the player is not of this world. No one knows for sure, but one thing is certain: if a skeleton sees a player, it will fire arrow after arrow until they see that abomination drop dead.

- Nobody knows what the intelligence level of a skeleton is, though it's assumed that it's not very high due to their lack of brains. However, the fact that they know water and trees will stop them from burning in the sunlight may point away from simple, brainless assumptions.

- They hate wolves. HATE HATE HATE. They've seen hungry wolves gnawing on the bones of a dead carcass, and then they look at themselves--bones--with fear and fury combined.

- They know that iron golems will attack them if they try to go after a player or a wolf, so they try to get rid of those first. Needless to say, it doesn't often end well, with them being yeeted into the sun.

- Skeletons don't like young turtles because of the sound the egg makes while hatching. It grates against their (nonexistent) ears, and so they have nothing but hatred for the beasts that escape from it.

- Sunlight will kill them because of the ingredients the witches used in their original creations (wing of bat, phantom's tail, bone of deceased, et cetera), which all came from nocturnal creatures. Also, their bone structure was unintentionally formed to be pretty fragile, so extreme temperatures (such as fire or cold biomes) will change them, be it killing them permanently or spawning them as strays.

- The amount of skeletons in the Overworld seems to be more than the witches could possibly create in such a short time period. There's a rumor passing through the villages that an underground movement of witches and even illusioners is creating more skeletons, trying to get the formula perfect for a village takeover.

- Skeletons are very cold to the touch, and feel a little dusty. Its soulless voids in place of eyes have no emotion.

A/N: Last chapter for today! Next will be either killer bunnies or phantoms.

I eventually plan on writing a Minecraft fanfiction here with all my headcanons of the mobs being canon, but that'll be in a very long while.

As for my three (or more, or less) readers: thank you for coming! I don't actually know what I'm doing here, but I appreciate the people who came to check this mess out.