"Horror"

word count: 817 || Kudou & Kuroba || domestic & humour

─── ♤♤♤♤ ───

Shinichi was best friends with Hattori and quickly hit it off with Hakuba, due to their mutual love of Holmes and discussing their styles of investigation.
But Kuroba kept a distance. He was friendly enough in meeting Shinichi and greeting him when they passed each other. But he never really got the chance to talk to Kuroba. It almost seemed like he was avoiding him.

No need to be jumping to conclusions, they were both busy people, he's an eccentric magician usually working on his next trick, while Shinichi is a popular detective typically busy with cases.
Their passions on top of college classes kept them fairly busy. It's not that odd that they're hardly in the apartment, let alone at the same time. Besides, Kuroba was Hakuba's good friend and Shinichi was fairly certain the fellow Holmes enthusiast was a good judge of character.

But at the same time, perhaps this assumption wasn't that unfounded. It was a given that Hakuba knew him, but even Hattori had a chance to talk to him and hit it off well. "He's an amusing guy and puts up a decent fight in kendou" his best friend commented the first week after meeting Kuroba.
Then there's that odd feeling he gets, similar to when around criminals, Hattori calls it his case antenna activating, when around Kuroba, but different. It's not as serious as a dangerous intent to harm, but still odd enough to make him cautious. And being cautious around Kuroba was the wise thing to do if Hakuba's anecdotes of highschool days were anything to go by.

And yet there was still something about the feeling he couldn't quite place.

It actually reminded him of KID from his time as Conan.

What was the thief up to now? KID had vanished into the night once again, likely for good this time, a couple of months after Shinichi had made sure the Black Organisation were in prison and had gotten his proper age back permanently. Shinichi idly wondered if he was doing well. It's not like the Phantom Thief caused any harm aside from some pride and property damage of rich corporates and shady people. Along with some disruption of the peace, which hardly anyone minded. In fact the average populace's reaction would indicate Kaitou KID heists were actually a spectacular performance rather than a disturbance, which in a sense were indeed.

Shinichi put aside his wonderings to return to the book he held. For the first time since this semester started, he finally had a weekend free to properly rest and relax. With Hattori visiting Kazuha-san back in Osaka and Hakuba in London for the weekend, Shinichi would basically have the place to himself. He could sleep in without a care and read a few mystery books, old favourites and new releases, while enjoying some warm tea.
So it was rather a surprise to find out that Kuroba had similar plans.

Shinichi was currently relaxed on the couch in the main room, reading a new mystery and sipping the rather delicious tea that Kuroba had brewed. The magician, who was apparently also a bit of a chef, was quietly humming while cooking a delicious smelling brunch in the kitchen half of the main living space.

Suddenly Kuroba ceased his quiet humming to say in a light hearted tone, "Say Kudou, it's a bit funny. I would normally be a little nervous about being alone all weekend with the one roommate I haven't been able to really talk to and get to know. I'd wonder about them turning out to be a monster like some horror movie. But this actually feels rather domestic"

Shinichi glanced up from his book to reply with an amused smile, "Well I can assure you that the only reason you'd have to fear me is if you were a murderer trying to evade justice. Glad you can relax around me, I feel similar."
He returned his eyes to the mystery.
It wasn't a total lie, he did feel similar, but not the same. He still felt a little cautious around Kuroba.
"Well the truth is, I don't feel nervous at all because..." suddenly Kuroba was standing beside the couch, continuing in a serious tone, "I am that monster"
Shinichi quickly looked up in surprise to see a wicked grin on Kuroba's face that quickly morphed into a gleeful laugh, "It's a joke, a joke, you should get a load of your face"
He held out another mug of tea, making the empty one beside Shinichi vanish, "Here's another cup, I noticed you ran out" then jauntily made his way back to the kitchen.

Kuroba paused to look back at Shinichi before resuming his cooking, "Although I must say, in case Haku-san hasn't already warned you, I may not be an actual monster but I can be a bit heart racing" he added with a wink.

─── ♤♡♧♢ ───

「 Why is Kai avoiding Shin tho if he doesn't know Shin and Cone are one? 」
since Kaito doesn't know Shinichi and Conan are the same, as far as he knows, Shinichi is just the famous detective of the east who he's only heard about in the papers/on tv. he has no idea what the real Shinichi is like so he's cautious about the detective figuring out who he was and has no idea of Shinichi's opinion on turning in an internationally wanted criminal (especially considering the rumours of Shin's big part in getting an entire criminal organisation arrested)