Act II. vii

[beginning of Ending I, for the ending where Anakin turns, please refer to Act. II. vii (alternate). Happy reading!]

Xaela's head pounded and her limbs ached, refusing to work as she struggled to sit up. Her spine was sore from the ground she laid on, and her legs were asleep due to lack of blood flow from being under Anakin's torso. He was still asleep.

She used her arms to pull herself out from under him. The pins and needles that ran up her legs added another pain to her body.

The Council room looked like the aftermath of a war from their fight. Scorch marks and broken furniture littered around, but the door was still shut and it looked like no one came for them. Xaela's immediate thought was that the Chancellor was not bested by the Jedi Masters. And when she looked out the window, only to see thick layers of smoke, she started to panic.

Hoisting her protesting body onto her legs, Xaela wobbled and fell trying to get to the door. It would not open, she tried code after code, banged and yelled, but it seemed to be sealed shut.

She moved over to Anakin's body and shook him.

"Anakin." She coughed in urgency. "Anakin, wake up!"

The boy twisted and turned on the floor, his bones cracking as he sat up in disorient.

"What? What's going on?" He looked around.

"I don't know." Xaela admitted. "The doors won't open and it looks like the Temple's on fire."

Anakin turned towards the windows, eyes widening like hers did. He flipped onto his stomach and - in pain - reached towards his and Xaela's lightsabers. They came flying towards his only hand, and he caught them, handing his friend hers.

"We need to get out." He strained and Xaela helped him to his wobbling feet.

"I think the door is sealed with something." She leaned him against the wall so he could support himself and she went to the window to see if she could see anything other than smoke. She couldn't.

Anakin banged the shaft of his saber against the code panel for the door but it only malfunctioned and hissed. Xaela gave him a look and he rolled his eyes, pushing off the wall to stand in front of the door.

"Ignite your lightsaber." He said and Xaela listened.

The two of them cut through the door with their lights, checking to see if anyone was there before stepping outside.

What met them was a Temple filled with death and decay. Jedi younglings and Padawans slaughtered all the same as they ran through in search of anyone who lived.

"What happened?" Anakin said and Xaela bent down beside one of the fallen.

"It looks like blaster shots." She looked up at Anakin. "Who would do such a thing?"

"I don't know." Anakin walked by her and she followed. "I'll check to see if any distress signals were sent, you go through the security holograms."

Xaela nodded and stopped off beside the control panels while Anakin looked through the communications.

The Sentinel hit rewind, watching as the events of the day restarted themselves. She watched as bodies flew upwards into a backwards run, turning to look behind themselves until the culprits presented themselves. Republic Clone Troopers. Xaela had no idea what to make of this treason, she could think of no reason other than the Chancellor - the Sith Lord - had sent them.

Xaela's heart dropped. Had all the Jedi been slaughtered? What about those who were off world? Xaela thought about Obi-Wan and almost started crying, what if he had died and she never got to say goodbye?

"A distress signal is still being transmitted." Anakin came up to her, then saw her face. "What's wrong?"

She replayed the security holograms, watching to see what his reaction entailed, but Anakin was only confused.

"Clone Troopers?" He asked, "but they work for the Republic."

"I don't know what's happening, Anakin." Xaela's voice broke, the both of them looking desolate.

"It's Palpatine." He said. "I can feel it."

"Anakin..." Xaela trailed off, not wanting to go through another fight with him.

He shook his head at her.

"Xaela, he wiped out the Jedi." He seethed. "He must be stopped."

Xaela was about to speak when they heard footsteps approaching. Thinking it was more Troopers, the two Knights wiped out their lightsabers, immediately taking a blocking stance back to back. But the beard and Jedi robes that presented themselves had Xaela dropping her weapon and running to Obi-Wan.

They embraced each other and Xaela had to bite her lip to stop from crying out in relief. She breathed in his familiar scent and knew that she wasn't imagining him there.

She didn't notice Master Yoda at first, and when she did, she thought that given the circumstances, a hug wasn't the most detrimental thing. But she did eventually let go of Obi-Wan, only for him to hold her at arms length and make sure that she was alright.

"You're alive?" He asked in disbelief, the same look she had in his eyes.

"Anakin and I were sealed in the Council's Chambers." Xaela said and turned to Master Yoda.

"Here a terrible thing has happened." He said in sorrow.

"Clone Troopers." Xaela explained and Anakin finally approached Obi-Wan, who made sure he was physically alright too. The missing hand made him raise an eyebrow but the two Knights ignored him.

"It's the Chancellor." Anakin said. "I know it."

"He turned the Troopers against us." Obi-Wan lifted Anakin's wrist to see where his prosthetic hand was sliced off. "We're not sure how many Jedi survived - if any."

Anakin took his wrist back from his old Master and didn't say anything.

"Being held an immediate Senate meeting is." Yoda confirmed.

"What about Padme?" Anakin asked urgently. "Is she alright?"

"She's fine." Obi-Wan held his hand out so he would relax. "We'll go see her after the meeting."

The two Jedi Masters looked at each other, thinking of a plan.

"Talk to Organa I will. Go find Darth Sidious you must." Yoda sighed and leaned on his cane. "I fear strong enough alone you are not."

"We are strong enough Master Yoda." Xaela said with an assurance and confidence Obi-Wan had never seen in her. "We're ready."

"We will end this war, Master." Anakin nodded.

"May the Force be with you."