Chapter II | The Fall of an Emperor

Luke and Vader are engaged in a lightsaber duel even more vicious then the battle on Bespin. But the young Jedi has grown stronger in the interim, and now the advantage shifts to him. Vader is forced back, losing his balance, and is knocked down the stairs. Luke stands at the top of the stairs, ready to attack.

Palpatine laughs. "Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy! Let the hate flow through you."

Luke looks momentarily toward the Emperor, then back to Vader, and realises he is using the dark side. He steps back, turns off his lightsaber, and relaxes, driving the hate from his being.

Vader turns to Luke. "Obi-Wan has taught you well. Luke responds "I will not fight you, father. Vader walks back up the stairs to Luke. "You are unwise to lower your defences."

Vader attacks, forcing Luke on the defensive. The young Jedi leaps in an amazing reverse flip up to the safety of the catwalk overhead. Vader stands below him.

"Your thoughts betray you, father. I feel the good in you...the conflict. Vader replies, "there is no conflict."

"You couldn't bring yourself to kill me before, and I don't believe you'll destroy me now. Vader says, "you underestimate the power of the dark side. If you will not fight, then you will meet your destiny.

Vader throws his lightsaber and it cuts through the supports holding the catwalk, then returns to Vader's hand. Luke tumbles to the ground in a shower of sparks and rolls out of sight under the Emperor's platform. Vader moves to find him.

Palpatine laughs. "Good. Good."

Vader stalks the low-ceilinged area on the level below the throne, searching for Luke in the semi-darkness, his lightsaber held ready.

"You cannot hide forever, Luke. Luke says "I will not fight you father." Vader replies, "Give yourself to the dark side. It is the only way you can save your friends. Yes, your thoughts betray you. Your feelings for them are strong. Especially for...

Vader stops and senses something. Luke shuts his eyes tightly, in anguish.

"Your sister! So...you have a twin sister. Your feelings have now betrayed her, too. Obi-Wan was wise to hide her from me. Now his failure is complete. If you will not turn to the dark side, then perhaps she will.

Luke shouts, "Never-r-r!"

Luke ignites his lightsaber and screams in anger, rushing at his Father with a frenzy. Sparks fly as Luke and Vader fight in the cramped area. Luke's hatred forces Vader to retreat out of the low area and across a bridge overlooking a vast elevator shaft. Each stroke of Luke's sword drives his father further toward defeat.

The Dark Lord is knocked to his knees, and as he raises his lightsaber to block another onslaught. Luke slashes Vader's right hand off at the wrist, causing metal and electronic parts to fly from the mechanical stump. Vader's lightsaber clatters uselessly away, over the edge of the platform and into the bottomless shaft below. Luke moves over Vader and holds the blade of his lightsaber to the Dark Lord's throat.
The Emperor watches with uncontrollable, pleased agitation.

"Good! Your hate has made you powerful. Now, fulfill your destiny and take your father's place at my side!"

Luke looks at his father's mechanical hand, then to his own mechanical, black-gloved hand, and realizes how much he is becoming like his father. He makes the decision for which he has spent a lifetime in preparation. Luke steps back and hurls his lightsaber away.

"Never! I'll never turn to the dark side. You've failed, Your Highness. I am a Jedi, like my father before me."

The Emperor's glee turns to rage.

"So be it...Jedi."

Luke stands still, as the Emperor reaches the bottom of thestairs. The Emperor's laughter has turned to anger. He raises his arms toward Luke.

"If you will not be turned, you will be destroyed."

Blinding bolts of energy, evil lightning, shoot from the Emperor's hands at Luke. Even in his surprise, the young Jedi tries to use the Force to deflect them. At first he is half successful, but after a moment the bolts of energy are coming with such speed and power the young Jedi shrinks before them, his knees buckling. The wounded Vader
struggles to his feet, and moves to stand at his master's side.

"Young fool...only now, at the end, do you understand."

Luke is almost unconscious beneath the continuing assault of the Emperor's lightning. He clutches a canister to keep from falling into the bottomless shaft as the bolts tear through him.

"Your feeble skills are no match for the power of the dark side. You have paid the price for your lack of vision."

Luke writhes on the floor in unbearable pain, reaching weakly up toward where Vader stands watching.

Luke groans. "Father, please. Help me."

Again Vader stands, watching Luke. He looks at his master, the Emperor, then back to Luke on the floor.

"Now, young Skywalker...you will die."

Although it would not have seemed possible, the outpouring of bolts from the Emperor's fingers actually increases in intensity, the sound screaming through the room. Luke's body writhes in pain.

Vader grabs the Emperor from behind, fighting for control of the robed figure despite the Dark Lord's weakened body and gravely weakened arm. The Emperor struggles in his embrace, his bolt-shooting hands now lifted high, away from Luke. Now the white lightning arcs back to strike at Vader. He stumbles with his load as the sparks rain off his
helmet and flow down over his black cape. He holds his evil master high over his head and walks to the edge of the abyss at the central core of the throne room. With one final burst of his once immense strength, Darth Vader hurls the Emperor's body into the bottomless shaft.

The Emperor's body spins helplessly into the void, arcing as it falls into the abyss. Finally, when the body is far down the shaft, it explodes, creating a rush of air through the room.Vader's cape is whipped by the wind and he staggers, and collapses toward the bottomless hole. Luke crawls to his father's side and pulls him away from the edge of the abyss to safety. Both the young Jedi and the giant warrior are too weak to move.

"It's over now Father." Luke looks at his weakened father.

Vader would thank his son for saving him from the darkness that consumed him. He was pleased that Palpatine, the evil tyrant, had fallen to what seemed to be his inevitable death. However he knew that this wouldn't be the end and that Palpatine would return...