Chapter 12

"Update, General. Now."

The cold, dark, unforgiving presence of the king swept into the lab, chilling the blood of everyone he passed and sending the lower servants scurrying off to the kitchens. Katro glanced up from the computers briefly before returning his ice-cold spectacled gaze to the monitors as the black cape rounded a bend to hover behind him.

"We traced an intrusion in our servers," he replied carefully. "To an unregistered device about twenty miles south of Skyforte. It was the work of a highly-skilled hacker. The trouble is, as far as I can tell, there are no registered hackers that far north. However," he added, seeing Morto's scowl deepen. "I did some cross-checking, and I located the presence of four Tapushians within the same vicinity."

"Who?"

"One moment." His hands flew across the keyboard and he pulled three tabs onto the bigger screen. "We only have names for three; Weston Constance, an animore. Logan Andrews, a flareint. And Rebecka King, also a flareint."

"And the fourth?" The king's voice was unwavering.

"Unknown," Katro replied, running another test and receiving a bunch of flashing lights for his troubles. "Whoever it is, they aren't in our databases."

"Focus on that one," Morto growled, pointing at the columns of redacted files on a single name, files that should never have existed. "What power?"

"Telekinetic," Katro answered. "But this doesn't make any sense! According to the scanners, until three days ago, whoever this was didn't even exist. It's almost as if--"

"They just came of age?" the king interrupted. He turned away with a deep sigh. "It's the boy," he groaned.

Katro frowned in confusion. "Sire?"

"There was a boy at the school," Morto explained. "He was with the Mineben girl. I felt his power. It was untamed and untapped, almost as though he'd never used it, or known it was there. He escaped, along with Russian Blue's team. Until now, there was no information on the location of a secondary base of operations."

Katro stared. "You seem very calm, Your Majesty. Do you have a plan?"

"Patience," Morto responded. "It's the name of the game. Patience and knowing exactly when to add pressure. The resistance has never been so vulnerable, but now they are waiting for their precious prince to save them. Which means we have to get to him first. Who owns that property?" he asked, pointing to the location.

"Mr. and Ms. Joseph Day. 142 Larkspur Drive, Mountain City. But they aren't home. They've been on a luxury cruise for ten months. Their son, Miles, inhabits the fifteen lots in their absence. And get this," He twisted the monitor for the king to see. "Miles and Constance went to school together."

"So they know each other?"

"I believe so."

"That's where those cowards are hiding," Morto determined. "They'll be leaving for the resistance soon. Gather a team and cut them off."

"Right away, Sire." Katro stood up and grabbed his coat, preparing to make a beeline from the hall. "I can have men scrambled in an hour. We'll get them this time, Your Highness. I swear it."

"You'd better, Katro." The calm had left the king's eyes to be replaced with anger. "That boy may look like nothing, but he is the descendant of one of the most powerful men I have ever met, and Constance's team is no pushover either. Be cautious. Shoot to kill."

"Yes, sir." With that, Katro took off out the door, his footsteps fading away to silence.

It was only then that Morto paused to turn back toward the monitors, where the names of the three Tapushians were hovering. Not so clever after all, were we, Zarron? Your pitiful resistance never stood a chance, and now, thanks to your son, we have all the pieces we need to tear your world apart, just as you did mine.

And I know just how to begin.

The girl was being kept in a prison block below the main structure. Some might have called it a dungeon. She hadn't said a word since she arrived, and had only glared at him with her piercing blue eyes, eyes he had no doubt had been trying to brainwash him. Only he was stronger. Mineben's powers were rendered useless with him. He knew all their tricks. He knew how to turn their...gifts...against them.

Which was why he was so sure the boy would come running back like the frightened child he was. He was young, inexperienced, and had recently been thrown into a world Morto suspected he had known nothing about. He needed someone to guide him. Someone who knew the ropes. And Russian Blue's team, though undoubtedly powerful, lacked the experience to train another. He would have to come back for the girl and Morto would be ready for him.

All he needs is a little motivation.

"Sire," spoke one guard, inclining his head respectfully as he glided past. "Welcome."

"Your Majesty!" yelped the second as he emerged from the very cell Morto was seeking. "W-welcome! Er...what are you doing here?"

"The girl," Morto answered coldly. "Has she awoken?"

The guard ducked his head. "She has. Fiesty one you got there, Sire. She's already taken down two of my best men with her witchcraft."

"Thank you," Morto said coolly. "That will be all. I can take it from here."

The guards bowed once more and hastily dispersed. Morto ignored their loud whispers about 'the girl being a witch', knowing better than that. Some people were just so undereducated it hurt. He waved a hand against the lock, listening as it creaked and groaned to unlock itself. Then, bracing himself for whatever stunt the girl might attempt, he pushed open the door and stepped into the room.

The Mineben was lying against the opposite wall, head bowed as though in prayer, though he noticed her immediately tense as he slammed the door shut. "You've caused me a lot of difficulties, Miss Grasslake," he spoke in a low voice. "You and your friends."

She moved at his words, raising her head to stare at him with bleared blue eyes and an agony-filled expression. "Sorry." She didn't sound it. "But..." she took a raspy breath. "That's what you get...for...blowing up my town...I guess."

Morto chuckled darkly. "I think you mistake your position, Mineben. You're not out there," he gestured abstractly to mean the outside world," causing mayhem and disaster under the radar now. I know what it was you did. And I know about your little friend."

She smirked at this. "Then you also know he'd never fall for your two-bit attempt at manipulating me. I told him to leave me. He won't come back."

Reaching the end of his patience, Morto leaned up to place a hand under her chin and raise her head so he could look her in the eyes. In a single moment, he felt everything. Her fear, conviction, determination...and her love. She loved the boy, yet, she could never tell him. Morto watched their argument on fast forward. Up to the last moment, she'd thought of him.

She still was.

"He will come," he hissed. "Because he feels the same way about you."

She flinched and tried to jerk away.

"You were smart," Morto conceded, releasing her and stepping toward the door. "To try and keep him from me. Of course, you knew who he really was. Who's son he was. You knew what I would have done to him. And that's why you did it. But, in the end, you'll see that you failed. For you see," he grinned as he reached the door and prepared to exit. "I now know where he is."

Leah's eyes widened in fear.

Relishing it, Morto continued. "You may have protected him, you may have pushed him away and said it was for his own good, but in the end, he's nothing without you. And it's your actions that will bring him straight to me."

And with that, he walked out and slammed the door behind him.