Chapter 17

"Wow," Greeny said again, unable to believe what he was seeing. A city! An entire city, hidden in plain sight!

I don't believe it! This is...this is incredible!

"Impressive, huh?" Red said, smiling as Pinky and Blue opened their doors and stepped out to greet the guards coming to meet them.

"Yeah," Greeny nodded. "And everyone here...disagrees with Morto?"

"He's not exceptionally popular, in case you haven't noticed," Red reminded him. "Even outside our solar system. This resistance...it's galaxy-wide."

Greeny looked back in confusion. "What do you mean?"

Red only smirked. "You'll see."

Greeny wondered what he meant, but before he could ask, a guard was helping Pinky toward the gate, and two more were following Blue toward the vehicle. He blinked, startled, as a young woman, possibly a year or two older than Red appeared in the doorway, grinning shyly.

"I see you managed to find trouble again, Sunset," she said, offering her hand to Greeny, but keeping her gaze firmly fixed on the brunette behind him. "You just can't seem to keep yourself out of it, can you?"

Greeny looked back, spotting an identical beam on Red's face. "Of course not," the teen replied. "Gotta keep things interesting, right?"

She snorted but said nothing more as Greeny heaved himself out of the vehicle. Pain exploded through his body as his ribs once more began to ache, instigated by the car chase no doubt, and he fell against the girl with a gasp. She caught him easily, and helping him stand, threw one of his arms around her shoulders.

"Easy there," she told him. "I got you. Come on, stand. Yes, just like that. Can you walk?"

Greeny nodded weakly, closing his eyes and grinding his teeth. The girl took a small step forward, encouraging him to do the same. He complied and nearly fell again. Once more, she grabbed him and heaved him up. "It's just a short way to the Healer," she said to Red as someone went to assist him. "I think the two of you should go there right away. Hey, flame head, you stay with me all right?"

Greeny tried to agree, but the words wouldn't come. His body felt heavy. He guessed he'd lost a lot of blood. His head sagged and he could barely force his legs to move forward. He hurt too much to care how pathetic he must have appeared.

"What about the others?" Red called back.

"They have suffered only minor injuries. They can be checked over once you two are better," the girl replied. "Because I don't know if you've seen yourselves recently, but you look like death decided to throw a Halloween party and invited Mardi Gras."

Red barked out a laugh.

Greeny grimaced, struggling to stay awake as they passed through the gates and moved into the city. Beneath him, the road shifted to dust and gravel, heavily trod by horses and dogs. Huts and shacks lined the street and curious eyes watched them from the shadows and doorways. Whispers rose like a quiet breeze through the crowd and he felt the heat of their stares upon them.

"What's...going on?" he gasped.

"It's not every day they see new arrivals," the girl replied. "Naturally, they're all curious to see who has come. And Constance may have mentioned your importance to this war."

"Of course...he did."

"So is it true? You're the one? The Tapushian prince?"

"I am."

"Lucky you," she said sarcastically. "Well, I suppose they also told you about the prophecy?"

His vision was going dark, but he fought it. "Prophecy?"