Chapter 22

Greeny's eyes followed the king as Morto scanned the ragtag team with cold hatred and his heart leaped up into his throat, making his next words almost unrecognizable.

"Y-you don't have to do this!" he stammered, forcing himself to speak even as the blade was pressed dangerously against his skin and the grip on his arms grew tighter. Could he break free? Could he risk it? What would the king do to the others if he resisted? Would he be a coward if he ran? "We're not a threat to you! I swear! All we want is to be left alone!" I want to be left alone! And I want Leah back! You have her and I want her back!

He could hear how feeble the attempt was and he mentally wanted to slap himself for even letting the words slip out. But, he had to remind himself, it wasn't entirely unreasonable for him to feel this way. He wasn't a fighter like the others. He hadn't signed up for this--any of it. All he wanted to do was get Leah, go home, and act like none of this had ever happened.

But by the look on the king's face, it was easy to see that that would be the last thing to ever happen. Inadvertently or not, Greeny had proven himself a dangerous opponent. The king would have to be a fool to let the team walk out alive--uncontrollable powers or no.

And a fool Morto was not.

"Let us go!" Pinky screamed fiercely, struggling against her captor once more. Her arms were twisted tightly behind her back and through her long bangs, Greeny could see a fury there that he could never explain in words, but could feel deep inside. This was the man who had killed her parents. She must have been beyond furious. Greeny didn't understand how it felt to have a parent be brutally murdered, let alone two, but he didn't blame her for her hatred now. "Let us go right now!"

Morto twirled on his heels to face her, an unreadable expression written across his mouth. Was it...victory? Curiosity? Anger? "Or what?" he sneered, taking a thunderous step toward her. All three boys immediately cringed back. "You'll throw a little fire at me? Pathetic girl. You know nothing of true power!"

"Oh, like you?" she shot back, undeterred by his authority. "Killing and destroying and leveling entire villages? That's your definition of power? You're no king! You're a tyrant and you don't deserve your throne any more than you deserve your magic! I bet you stole that as well?"

That was the last straw. Before anyone could so much as blink or even begin to protest (or plead for forgiveness), Morto lashed out, backhanding her mercilessly across the face. She crumpled immediately into the man holding her and the boys bellowed in rage, all exploding with newfound strength, forcing their captors to lunge forward to restrain them once more.

"LEAVE HER ALONE!" Greeny was shocked to hear his voice explode above the others', especially Red's. And he wasn't the only one. Nevertheless, he shook off the soldier's grip and held his ground without flinching, clenching his hands into fists as Morto wheeled on him, his eyes flashing dangerously.

"And you. You look so much like your father," the king hissed, examining him disdainfully, probably wondering how such a shrimp of a boy could possibly be the son of his sworn enemy. "I should have seen it sooner. And it's such a shame. You have a brilliant mind, Mr. Bush. I saw it before and I see it now. I could have used someone like you as my ally. But, alas, you've shown your true colors when you attacked my fleet." Apparently, he missed the part where he'd attacked the teens first.  "A pity you remind me so much of him. Prideful. Stupid. I didn't eliminate Zarron when I had the chance and he grew up to be my worst enemy. I will not make that mistake again." He looked over Greeny's head to the soldier standing at the ready immediately behind. "Kill him."