prologue

Something feels different.

There's a chill in the Coruscant air, and Coretta is sitting in one of the Jedi temple's many courtyards, her legs crossed and her eyes closed as she searches through the force, searches through her feelings.

Yep, something feels different, she knows that for sure. She'd ask Master Yoda about it later, but she knew his response would be to continue to search, to discover what had changed and where. But Cory didn't have the energy for that right now, so her eyes snap open -

And she screams.

"What the -" she censors herself by scrunching up her face "Is wrong with you?!"

Anakin Skywalker is standing directly in front of her - staring.

"What?" he acts clueless but Cory stands up in a less than proper manner and stares up at him

"Don't 'what' me you creep!"

Finally, he laughs and Cory has to remind herself that anger is not the Jedi way so she doesn't punch him "Sorry, you looked too peaceful to interrupt,"

"So you thought you'd stand in front of me until I opened my eyes to scare the living daylights out of me?"

"Yeah," Anakin smirks and gives his friend a moment to breathe before he speaks again "Obi-Wan sent me to get you - you're stuck with us for another mission, he wouldn't tell me about it until I got you,"

As a youngling, Coretta was often left behind as others were picked up as padawans, when Yoda eventually decided to take her on,  it became obvious he often didn't have time in his day to train her specifically, and so she was passed on to other Masters more often than she liked. She had experienced many teaching styles if there was a plus side. But that's how she first met Master Kenobi and his young Padawan. When put with Obi-Wan and Anakin, Cory seemed to thrive as a future Jedi, and so, she was often sent off with them on missions, and also often invaded their meditating sessions.

"Great," she mutters sarcastically. 

She didn't mind it too much.

----------&----------

"You know, milady, Count Dooku was once a Jedi. He couldn't assassinate anyone. It's not in his character," Master Windu is stood by the doorway in the Chancellor's office, He's talking to Senator Amidala, and she glares slightly and his words. The Jedi council had finished their meeting with the chancellor and were about to leave. However, Senator Padmé Amidala had mentioned she feared Dooku may be behind the attempt on her life, and thus she was now in a situation where several men decided she needed protection.

"But for certain, Senator... in grave danger you are," Yoda tells her truthfully

"Master Jedi, may I suggest the senator be placed under the protection of your graces," The Chancellor speaks from looking out of the large windows of his office and over Coruscant.

"Do you really think that's a wise decision under these stressful times?"

"Chancellor, if I may comment, I do not believe -" Padmé starts

"'The situation is that serious'? No, but I do, Senator. I realize all too well that additional security might be disruptive for you... but perhaps someone you're familiar with," The Chancellor paces as he thinks "An old friend - like Master Kenobi!"

"That's possible. He's just returned from a border dispute on Ansion," Master Windu informs them.

"Do it for me, milady. Please? The thought of losing you... is unbearable,"

"Perhaps, place my own Padawan with him we should," Yoda speaks up "Appreciate the opportunity she would,"

"If I'm being forced into this, I would prefer a female companion as well," Padmé tells them - previous guards who were not Jedi were rather keen to protect her in the bathrooms.

"Then it's settled, Master Yoda's Padawan shall join Master Kenobi and his Padawan," Master Windu agrees before turning to the senator "I will have Obi-Wan report to you immediately, milady,"

"Thank you Master Windu,".