Chapter 02

Elmwood, Missouri

Dr. Theodore Harcourt stood on the platform of the train station in Elmwood, pacing back and forth as though nervous despite the number of times he'd reassured himself he was not. He had no reason to be nervous with Irene Bailey. He could not have gotten more lucky in selecting a bride. He only hoped that she would not object to the particular requirements of their engagement once he explained them to her.

The doors to the train finally opened and a womanly figure stepped out. For a moment, Theodore's breath stilled in his chest and his lungs forgot how to work. Irene was even more beautiful than he'd remembered. Why had he not proposed to her before she'd left town last time? If he hadn't been so foolish, he'd have done just that.

It had only been two months since he'd last seen her, and in that time she appeared to have grown more youthful, with pinker lips, creamier skin, and a glow in her eyes which made him think she was the type of soul who could enjoy life to its fullest no matter the circumstances. They would come in handy when he went to explain things. Other women might grow angry with him for the type of proposition had to make, but he did not think Irene would mind very much. She'd always been a very amiable girl.

He waved to her, gaining her attention, and her smile brightened that much more. She waved back and started for him, a porter running after her with her bags. She had only two small ones, and he tipped the porter to place them securely in his coach which was standing by. He winced as he handed the money over, but he made sure not to let Irene see.

"It is good to see you," Irene said, still smiling. Her cheeks began to color and she cast her eyes to the ground.

"I'm so glad you came," he told her. "For a while, I was worried you might change your mind."

She looked up, laughing nervously. "Change my mind? Why would I do such a thing?"

His insides tightened as he offered her his arm. "It's just that I... Never mind. You've made it, and that is all that matters."

He escorted her to his coach and helped her inside, her chestnut hair falling in an eruption of curls all around her face. He was surprised she had not pinned it back as most other women traveling by train would have, then remembered she'd once complained to him that her hair had a mind of its own. She could do nothing with her curls except to let them take over. That suited him just fine. He found them rather more pleasing than the straight her most women were born with; it gave her vivacity that others were lacking.

Next to her, Theodore looked plain. He kept his brown-blonde hair short so it would not get in his way when he was working, and although he stood just over six feet tall, there was nothing particularly unusual about his height which he felt could recommend him to a woman of Irene's beauty. It was a wonder to him that no one else had married her as of yet.

The coach started off towards his home, and Irene peered out the window as they rode. "It has only been two months," she said, "but I feel as though everything has changed."

He shook his head. "Very little has changed, I'm afraid. Except that my father has recently passed away."

Irene's head turned quickly back to him. "I'm so sorry. I didn't know. You should have told me in your last letter."

He shrugged. "It was something I preferred to tell you in person."

"Oh?" she asked, looking at him uncertainly. "Why is that?"

He cleared his throat. This was it, the moment he'd been most dreading. Looking into Irene's emerald eyes, however, he found strength. Had it been any other woman, he was not sure he could have said things so plainly as he was about to, but he knew Irene was strong and could handle what he had to tell her.