Chapter 08

Theodore knew Irene was upset about something, he just couldn't figure out what. She slammed his coffee cup onto the table as she laid out their dinner. The coffee went over the side of the cup and spilled on the table. She glared at him. He looked at her and thought that it was unfortunate for him she looked so pretty when she was angry. It made it harder to be angry back at her.

"What's the matter?" he asked.

She arched an eyebrow at him. "You tell me," she said.

He scratched his head, his eyes widening. "Did my aunt come to see you today? I knew she'd be back but—"

"No," Irene said, cutting him off. He'd spent the day in his offices down the block from his house, mostly reading. She set a plate of stew down in front of him so hard he feared it might break.

He ran his hand over his head and let out a sigh. "I'm in no mood for games," he said. "If you have something to tell me, then say it and be done otherwise leave me be." It had all come out sounding much harsher than he'd meant for it to.

Irene's mouth tightened. Rather than looking surprised at his outburst, she looked even angrier. "You have no cause to be upset with me," she said. "How could you not tell me you have a criminal after you?"

Theodore groaned. "Who told you?" he asked, not bothering to deny it.

"Lucy."

He should have known this would happen. He drew in a breath. "Maurice Greene is not after me," he said. "He was let out of jail, he didn't escape, and that is it. He's probably far from here by now anyway. Anyone with sense enough to get himself into a rehabilitation program wouldn't want to go and mess it up by coming after me or those I love."

She blinked for a second. "Love?" she asked, and his face colored.

"I mean..." he stammered, feeling flustered. "Those who to the world it appears I love." He tugged at his collar, which was remarkably warm.

"Where was he being jailed?" she asked after a moment.

"Jefferson City," he said.

She bit her bottom lip. "You should have told me," she said.

"Yes, you're right." He would say anything to get past this and on with his dinner. Maurice was the last thing he wanted to talk about just now. Her eyes were no longer angry, nor were they sparkling. They appeared dull if not a little sad.

"This isn't going to work," she said. "It's not even been a week and already you're keeping things from me."

His anger began to tip over. He rose from his seat. "I did not tell you about Maurice because I didn't want to worry you. This is not a real marriage anyway; you've said so yourself. So why should I be compelled to tell you any of my secrets?"

"You mean you have more?" she cried, incredulous.

"I mean that it does not matter if I have more. They are none of your business if I do!" He didn't know why he was shouting. He had no other secrets to keep from her, why did he not just say so?

"Fine!" she shouted. "I have secrets as well! Plenty of them!"

He was somehow taken aback by this remark. His fingers began to curl. "Are they to do with Leonard?"

She blinked. "What? Leonard who?"

"Leonard Overton," he snapped. "I saw the way he was looking at you when he was here the other day."

"What the devil are you talking about?" she demanded.

"If not Leonard, then it must be Sidney. You've never quite gotten over him, have you? You still wish he'd married you instead of Belle."

He didn't understand where all this was coming from. What did it matter if she harbored secret feelings for any man beside himself.

"You're jealous?" she asked, shock registering in her voice.

"Of course not!" he cried. "I'm only pointing out that you have your own secrets."

"I've already admitted I do," she replied. "But they have nothing to do with Leonard or Sidney."

Theodore stood there for a moment, his face and mind a blank. "I'm going to my study," he snapped and stomped out of the room. He slammed the door to his office behind him and took a seat at his desk. His head hurt terribly, and he could not understand what was the matter with him that he'd said such incredible things to Irene. He was acting like a lunatic.

He stomach began to rumble, and it was then he realized that in addition to leaving Irene in the other room, he'd also left his dinner. There was no way he was going back for it though. If possible, he wished to avoid Irene for the rest of the night, perhaps even the whole of tomorrow.