Chapter VIII - Golden Trunks

Alex threw his coat over his shoulders tiredly. He had to deal with the aftermath of the unravelled fraud committed in his own hotel, and it wasn't something he was looking particularly forward to. Though he had good connections with the city's chief policeman James Ford, the strenuous investigation and the stack of paperwork it would entail was something they both dreaded.

He'd asked Matt to taxi him, because he simply hadn't slept well enough to trust himself to drive properly. It had been this way for months on end now, and he knew it was as a result of the stress he'd been dealing with. Whatever the doctor had given him didn't work, so he'd always end up spending the nights on his balcony with a smoke and a glass of his favourite whiskey. What he wouldn't do for one of those right now.

"Heading off again?"

She was leaning against the doorway, looking charming as ever. "We missed you during breakfast."

"Considering Jamie's blood pressure, I don't think I was missed all that much, love," he replied with a small smile. "I'm headed off to the city. I still have some business with the police to handle."

"Have fun with that."

He hummed, "If I'm at the brink of being bored to death, I'll just remember I still have a guest I need to keep my eye on before she ruins my good reputation."

"Did you just admit to fantasizing about me, mister Turner?"

He laughed, before hearing the honk of the Cadillac echoing through the lobby. "I hope to see you at lunch, writer." He closed the final button of his coat before stepping out the front doors.

"You didn't answer my question!" he heard her call after him. He left with a feeling of boyish giddiness, and he wasn't quite sure what to think of it.

His trip to and from the police office had left him more tired than he wanted to admit, and it had taken up more time of his day than expected. It wasn't until dinner that he was able to join his guest and staff for his first proper meal of the day. He scolded himself, knowing what his mother would've said to him if she saw him like this.

The dining hall appeared to be more dimly lit than usual and he wanted to ask Nick about it, but when he saw him carelessly conversing with Jamie at the table, his conscience decided against it. He knew how hard Nick had been working the past few weeks.

They all greeted him with cautionary smiles and hellos, which he'd gotten used to over the past few years. Previous events had led him to be stricter about certain things and he knew very well that it had put a strain on their friendship. Part of him missed the old days, but he realized it was better this way. If the hotel did ever go bankrupt, they'd blame him, and they would be right to do so. For if they didn't blame him, they'd blame themselves, and he wanted to prevent that at all costs.

She was sitting next to him, and as the predominant conversation the guys were having was able to drown out anything else, she muttered, "I thought we'd be seeing you at lunch, mister Turner?"

"My apologies, love. Business took me longer than expected," he disclosed softly, "I hope my staff kept you entertained?"

"I'm very capable of keeping myself entertained, mister Turner. I don't need your staff to manage." She had a devious twinkle in her eyes, which made him smirk. "Luckily you don't," he replied, "all they're good at is getting you into trouble."

"Speaking of trouble-" She pulled a newspaper from her bag and slid it over to him, which quieted down everyone at the table. Alex' eyes sleekly scanned over the headline.

'The Grand Tranquility Hotel: A blissful sanctuary with the most charming personnel - and owner."

The other men at the table seemed to be waiting warily for his response, clearly already having been informed of the whole ordeal. When Alex blankly kept rereading it a dozen times over, feeling a numbness settle over him, Nick decided to speak up; "The article was very well-received, Alex. I've had more bookings for the next holiday than we've had all summer."