Chapter XIII - Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino (Pt. I)

5 YEARS LATER...

"Tranquility Base Hotel and Casino, this is Mark speaking. Please tell me, how may I direct your call?"

"Yes, hi!" She quickly informed him of her name. "I was wondering if I could book a room at your residence? If possible, sometime soon."

A moment of silence passed over the line.

"O-Of course, madam. It would be our pleasure. Would two weeks from now work?"

"Perfect. I'm not sure how long I'll be staying. Oh, and I'm bringing someone, if that's alright."

"That's won't be an issue."

"And- Could you do me a favour?"

"Anything, madam."

"Could you book me into room 521?"

"Certainly."

She glanced down at her suitcase, taking a deep breath, before slamming the top down and sitting on it to be able to zip it shut. She had packed it to the brim, an unusual habit she'd started showing ever since she'd had to visit random book signings she would only know the location of later during the day. She had spent a while traveling, thus having this quirk grow into something more of a routine.

Her driver had been watching her struggle silently, noting the way she was fumbling with her hands as she put her coat on and nearly dropped her purse for the third time. When she finally looked up at him, he did his best to give her a reassuring smile.

"Are you ready to go, miss?" Matthew asked her. She nodded.

He held the door open for her as usual.

The building was one she'd seen before on a picture, but only briefly, and she had to admit that she had underestimated the sheer size of it. It was not looming in any way; it was a place you'd walk into expecting to have fun. She could compare it to a billboard; massive, with bright flashy neon lights and something about it that made you turn your head to look at it.

The entrance hallway was decorated with a brightly coloured carpet and simplistic wooden furniture, and it was busy. People were gathered around in little clusters here and there, most likely just having arrived and others meeting up with friends. She was a bit relieved to see that the face behind the counter was not a familiar one, because she still hadn't decided how ready she was to be in the situation she was today.

"Welcome to the Tranquility Base Hotel and Casino," the clerk said most enthusiastically. "How may I be of service?"

She tried her best not to pull her nose up at the way he said it, instead opting for a polite introduction. "I'd called the other day; I'd asked for room 521?"

He decidedly blinked at her, before his gaze wandered her up and down, almost as if to check if she was really who she was claiming to be. Finally, when her brow lifted impatiently, he settled with believing her, because he said, "Of course, miss. I absolutely loved your book, by the way. If I may be so bold, would you sign my copy for me one of these days?"

"Of course," she put up a polite smile, "You'll know where to find me."

Matt appeared behind her, lowering their suitcases to the floor. "Sorry I took so long. Couldn't find a spot."

"That's alright," she muttered, as he eyed the young clerk behind the counter suspiciously.

"Our sincere apologies, sir," the boy told him, "The hotel is working on the plans to expand the parking lot."