Chapter XV - Tranquility Base Hotel & Casino (Pt. III)

"You're both idiots," she huffed under her breath, as she rinsed the bloodied washcloth in the previously stark white sink. She didn't bother to wipe away the splatters, since she'd had to rinse it ten times before that because Matt's nose wouldn't stop bleeding.

They had taken their mess to the kitchens, away from prying eyes, when a picture had almost been taken by one of the paparazzi that had been sneakily investigating them. Word must have gotten around that the writer of The Grand Tranquility Hotel was visiting the new estate and seen with the owner himself.

As she cleaned the remaining grime off of Matt's cheeks and chin, she wasn't being as careful as she usually would be. She was pissed off, and all the men did was cast their eyes downwards and shoot her regretful looks from time to time. Even if they did still feel resentment towards each other, they were very careful not to show it in her presence.

"You know, it's not just your reputation you're damaging," she added, walking over towards the hotel owner's messy features, "I'm an accomplished writer now. If you can't behave properly, I'll have to write another book and lie myself out of this. I'd rather not write a fake autobiography."

"You mean an addition to the already existing one?" Alex muttered.

She raised a brow, the washcloth momentarily wavering over the bruised cheek she'd been tending to. The injuries to his face were less severe, and she was very much considering making them worse.

"You better watch your mouth, mate," Matt growled.

"Or what? Are you going to hit me again?" Alex challenged.

Jamie was quick to hold Matt back when he tried to get out of his chair, while Nick took a hesitant step towards Alex, in case he was about to try something. But the hotel owner remained seated on the kitchen countertop, rubbing his temples tiredly.

"I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that," she sighed, "And I advise you to double check the personnel you've hired, as they clearly can't keep their mouths shut."

"It's the paparazzi; they're always here, even when we do keep an eye out for them. And my clerk is very trustworthy, he just needs some more training," Alex told her defiantly.

"Just some training?! He was drawing squiggles in your guest book when we arrived, Al!"

"Matt, I do need you to shut up," she snapped, "You're letting your anger make you as spiteful as a ten-year-old. Go cool off."

The man in question huffed, shaking Jamie's hand off of his shoulder before making his way towards the door.

"Yes, go cool off, Matt, lest you try to beat someone up again."

Her eyes met his in a desperate attempt to ask him to let it go, which wouldn't have worked had it been the Matt from when they left the hotel together. The Matt now, however, was more calculated and reserved; though his tendency to use his fists as the main solution still lingers there. She had thought it gone by now, yet the circumstances had indefinitely proven her wrong.

The door slammed behind him with a finality, and she returned her annoyed gaze to Alex, clearly disappointed with the way he's treating her best friend. Nick left shortly after, mumbling about what idiots they were being, to go search for Matt. Jamie didn't stick around for too long either, evidently feeling awkward staying in the brooding tension that hung around them.

She silently continued to care for his split lip, peering up at his eyes ever so often, which seemed darker and more distant than usual.

"What did you mean by that?" she murmured.

"Mean by what?" he asked.

"You know what."

He gave her a look, "You mean your fake tales about my perfect hotel?"