Part 11 - Unfiltered Stupidity

I clutched the clear container of cookies tightly. I helped make them, since the apparent chef of the house was too possessive of his beautiful kitchen in order to let me make them alone. I also put the chocolate in a zip lock bag on the side of the container, so that it would pass inspection.

My knuckles were white as I passed the warden. 'You again!? You're certainly dedicated.' He frowned, looking over the container with a hum. He let me go through. It was so hard not to let out a sigh of relief. The guards were tripled in the visitation room. I was early this time. There were a couple prisoners sitting at the benches. Yancy was there, he let out a smile as he looked up. I hesitantly passed the container of cookies and chocolate to a nearby guard, who practically tossed it over to Yancy. Still standing near the door, I gave a small smile. Oh how I wanted to to turn around and leave. A burly guard sidled up to me, 'You visiting?' He growled, I nodded timidly and carefully walked over to the bench. Yancy raised an eyebrow as I sat down

'Youse came. With the cookies. I uh, wasn't expectin' you to.' He seemed a little happy, the way his eyes lit up before being covered by a small frown.

'Of course I did. A deal's a deal. Unless, you don't honor those in prison?' I shrugged, feeling a little guilty for the comment. It just slipped out.

'Huh. Youse think just because I'm in prison, that youses better than me?' He spat, crossing his arms and showing off his tattoo.

'Sorry,' I stammered, 'How do you stay sane in here?' I winced internally. This conversation was going even worse.

'Well, heres home. So I ain't sure how youse can stay sane, out there. In normal society. But, hows this deal goin' with this friend of youses?' He asked, leaning forward. I leant back in the chair. What was his deal?

'Um, they still want to get you out....' I scratched my neck and looked away from his face. He wasn't going to be happy, but there were guards in here. It would be fine.

Yancy let out a small chuckle. 'Got their heart set on it? Well, I don't knows about youse, but that means that we're continuing our deal. And maybe, I'll thinks about it.'

I nodded, 'Okay. What do you want this time?'

'Nothin. I've never had anyones givin' me shit.'

'You've never had another visitor?'

Yancy shook his head, looking down at the bench. I wished I could reach out, we were both prisoners in a way. 'I'm sorry.'

'Youse got nothin' to be sorry for. It's alright.'

'What's something you miss having? Maybe I could get it?' I asked, a little softer than I intended. He frowned at me.

'...a necklace. I used to have one.' He seemed a little distant.

'Okay. And then you'll think more about freedom?'

'Can't make any promises to youse.'

I sighed. I just wanted to scream at him. I was going to be trapped at the house, for as long as he was still here! But I couldn't do that. There was just something about him, I couldn't admit that I didn't want to be here, it was like something was blocking me.

'Alright.'

'And that's okay with youse? Why?' He asked, frowning again. I shook my head and offered the best smile that I could, which was only a small one.

'Like I said, it's for my friend. I should probably leave...' I pushed the chair back as quietly as I could.

'Wait! uh, nevermind. Jus' forget it.' He uncrossed his arms, the frown never leaving his face. I was curious, but didn't want to push it. How the hell was I going to convince this guy to leave prison?

'Are you sure Yancy?' I asked softly. His eyebrows shot up before narrowing his eyes again.

'Yeah, I'm sure! I's as sure as ever.'

'Okay. Just think about it? Please?' I felt so stupid for begging, but no other idea came to mind. Just as long as I at least got Dark off my back, or better yet, got away.

'Can't make any promises. Youses friend ain't really a friend huh?'

'What!?' I squeaked, 'No. They're a friend, of a friend. Loosley. They're sort of my friend, I guess.'

'That don't sound like friends to me, but if they're youses friend then.' He shrugged, standing up from the seat. That was it. The conversation was over.

And I was no closer to getting out of the damned mansion. I wanted to apologise, to do something, but he was already walking off towards the corridor. There was nothing I could do.