Part 16 - The Date

I sidled through the gate, looking left and right to see if I could avoid the goose. I had seen violent geese before, but this one was something different. Adjusting my scarlet shoulder bag over my shoulder, I was startled by a loud honk from the bushes.

I walked a little faster, stepping over a bramble bush. The goose took that moment to rush out of the bush in front of me, I clutched tightly to my bag as the ground got a little closer. The goose let out another loud honk, grasping onto one of the tassels at the bottom of my back, pulling to drag it off to who knows where.

'Shove off!' I growled, making a shooing motion with my foot once I was sitting upright. It looked at me, beady eyes almost glaring, as it flapped its wings. Screwing up my face, I wrenched the bag out of its grip. 'Go away! Stupid Goose.' I muttered, stomping off.

It tailed me all the way up to the front door. As usual, I rang the doorbell and as usual, Dark opened it. He stepped aside to let me in, raising an eyebrow at the goose, who waddled off with a pitiful honk. Smiling in thanks, I tried to ignore the sigh and the eyeroll that he sent my way.

'Yan asked when you were going to arrive.' He drawled after shutting the door.

'Oh?'

'Yes. Just don't forget, your purpose here isn't to, well... The Host says you improve the house, however, I am sure that given the choice to return home, you would.' He said cryptically. I nodded, brows furrowed.

It did make sense, ultimatley we both wanted me gone from the house so it would be stupid to make attachments. But the look on Yan's face, the excitement, I couldn't say no to that. I had met every occupant of the house at least once. Some I certainly made a point to avoid, but Yan was not someone I could bring myself to do that to, I would feel too guilty. Yes there was something off, something dangerous, but she was still a kid.

Shouldering my bag, I headed off to my room, up the stairs. It was still bleak, modern, and a little small, but it was certainly less uninviting than it used to be.

Unpacking the jacket, shirts, jeans and chinos, hair products, I set them on the bed. The door opened a small crack and Yan peeked her head in.

'Are you still happy to help me get ready?'

'Really!? I thought you might have forgotten! Are you sure? Dad always says that I got my fashion taste from Papa. So, I'm not sure I'll be very good at picking things that aren't colourful and chaotic -'

'It's okay.' I smiled. Her face brightened up, and she rushed over to the two shirts, one of them was a red paisley shirt and the other was a green striped button up, I think it had been Laura's boyfriends' at some point.

She held up the red shirt and rifled through the small stash of clothes, pulling a denim jacket out. I took each of the clothes and set them on the bed, moving to pack the others away.

'Oh! I know what's missing, socks! I'll grab them!' Quick as lightning she was out the door.

Taking the opportunity while she was gone, I slipped on the shirt over the old t-shirt that I had on, buttoning it up. I should be happy and excited about this triple date, but I was nervous. The last thing I wanted was to meet the new person and have her ask so many questions.

Shaking my head, I combed the product through my hair as Yan barged back into the room. She was holding a pair of socks that had grey stripes and red polka dots. They were a little chaotic. Would it be too much with the shirt? Too loud?

With a smile, I sank down on the bed and turned away from her slightly, slipping the socks on. They were cute!

I slid on my heeled boots while I was still sitting and then stood, doing a mock spin in the small space.