Pulsating Mark

Draco and Harry walked in muteness in the direction of the campground, the sun around them had started to climb, Its warmth welcomed to Malfoy's sodden clothing. Harry felt a bit uneasy showing the blonde where they were staying, but he had to believe Dumbledores words. The man wouldn't send him Draco unless it was essential.

"How did you locate me?"

Draco about jumped at the voice, the boy had not spoken since they had slain the Horcrux. A task not very pleasant at all, it had shown Draco his mum dying over, and over, at Harry's hand until he was in tears and he lashed out in passion. Only, he didn't lash out at Harry as he wanted, he hit the locket right at its centre. Voldemort was done utilising him and his mother, done with the intimidations.

"What?" Draco muttered, perplexed by his own mind. He hadn't quite managed to work it out himself yet. He had just understood; like some weird confidence that he would end up where he required to be. "I dunno, I just apparated."

"Just apparated?" Harry asked, eyes dropping to the sword he had let Malfoy carry. Why had he done that? It was pretty obtuse now he considered it. "Don't you have to have a target in mind?"

Draco shrugged, following the chosen one's gaze. He rolled his eyes and held the weaponry out; allowing Harry to take grasp of it. The brunette took it, grateful that the blonde had recognised his distress. "I guess I saw your face in my subconscious, and then I was at the edge of the woods."

"My face?" Harry asked, a smirk coming over his lips. Why did that make him happy? "You thought of me."

"Don't flatter yourself, Potter." The blonde blushed, thinking back to how he had felt when Lysander had flirted with him, weirdly also a boy. Why had two guys made him feel embarrassed in a cutesy sort of way? "It was just the only thing I could try, it's not like I fancy you or anything."

"That's good." Harry shrugged, moving forward a few paces, permitting himself some distance. The blonde was satisfied with the distance, glad he could pass his reddening cheeks off to wandering a lengthy way in the sun. They trekked for another ten minutes until they reached the wards. Harry conjured a gap, and they both entered.

"HARRY!"

Hermione rushed forward, her face full of tears as she threw herself at her best friend. Draco stood hushed in the background, the broken locket secure in the hand. Harry laughed lightly, hugging her comfortingly. Hermione looked up, her eyes wide as she made eye contact with the blonde. Pushing Harry away, she pulled her wand out, directing it at the man. He only raised an eyebrow, the warnings were only boring now. He understood they would never kill unprovoked, he was in no authentic danger; although he knew they could injure him.

"Malfoy!"

"Granger." The blonde greeted, eyes finding Harry's who looked a bit too complacent for Draco's liking. What happened to believing in Dumbledore's intelligence? "Harry, do you fancy helping me out here mate?"

"Don't call me mate." The brunette grumbled, walking forward and placing his hand upon Hermione's shoulder. The witch glimpsed toward him, seeming somewhat alarmed at his lack of anxiety. "Herm, it's okay. You can calm down. Dumbledore sent him to us."

Harry and Draco told her the complete story, with the picture frame, the secrets, and the Draco saving Harry's life bit. The entire time her shoulders seemed to be getting considerably more untroubled, but her wand stayed elevated. It was apparent she didn't want to understand, but how could she quarrel with the old headmaster? Draco could only be grateful Snape had filled him in with exceptional detail.

"So you saved Harry's life?" Hermione spoke gently, explaining it more to herself than anyone else. Why would Draco protect Harry? This was something she never anticipated to deal with, but yet again, she knew that the blonde hadn't been able to kill Dumbledore. Maybe he hadn't been able to simply watch Harry die. "Because you want your mum to have freedom in the end? Why don't I believe you."