Chapter 6

Thick silver clouds blanketed the sky, casting a dull morning light over the forest. A crow perched at the very top of a pine, cawing it's grim cry toward the undergrowth.

Mistypaw tread carefully over the forest floor, her attention fixed on a thrush up ahead, sitting on the lowest branch of a tree. I have to catch this... She swallowed nervously. What if I mess up? I'll fail the assessment! She paused, staring awkwardly at the bird as she contemplated her next move. She thought back to the hunting techniques that Revengeheart had taught her. As long as I remember them, I'll be successful.

She narrowed her eyes determinedly and moved forward through the grass, a soft breeze blowing into her face. The wind is still on my side. She thought gratefully. She inched closer and lowered herself to the ground, strewn with pine needles. She judged the distance between herself and the bird once more before leaping forward.

The bird let out an alarmed cry as she grasped it in her claws and slammed it to the ground, quickly biting into it's neck. She stood, holding the limp bird in her jaws proudly.

"Well done!" Stripednose emerged from the bushes behind her, nodding approvingly. He was followed by Song and Coldpaw. Normally, apprentices completed their assessments alone with their mentor, not joined by any others. After Hawkfeather's death two moons ago, Depthstar decided that any cat going into the forest should be accompanied by at least two other cats, just in case these murderous rogues were about.

Mistypaw beamed at his praise and hurried back toward the others, adding the thrush to her pile of mice and frogs. "So..." She looked at her mentor nervously. "Did I pass...?"

For a moment, the tortoiseshell tom gave nothing away. Then his blue eyes gleamed, and he let out a purr. "Of course you did!"

Her heart burst with excitement, and Coldpaw bounded forward to meet her, his tail high. "We're going to be warriors!" He purred.

We're really getting our warrior names today! Mistypaw could hardly believe it. After all these moons of training, it's finally time!

"Let's go back to camp," Song purred, curling her white tail. "We'll tell Depthstar the good news."

Mistypaw lowered her head and grasped her thrush, while Stripednose gathered the rest of her prey. She looked up toward Coldpaw, impressed to see two massive frogs, a thrush, and several mice that he and Song were scooping up. Coldpaw has become an incredible hunter. She thought in amazement. I think he's mastered skills that even Revengeheart doesn't know.

As they began heading back to camp, she brightened at the thought of the black-legged warrior. I can't wait to tell him I passed my assessment! I think I'll give him my thrush. She decided warmly. To thank him for his hunting advice.

As they reached the camp and deposited their prey on the fresh kill pile, Cobratail was sitting by the meeting rock, his tail curled over his black paws. When he spotted them, he rose. "I assume the apprentices passed?" He prompted.

"They certainly did," Stripednose meowed warmly. "You can tell Depthstar he'll be holding a warrior ceremony today."

"Excellent!" Cobratail purred and rested his amber gaze on the two young cats. "Congratulations, you two."

Mistypaw and Coldpaw lifted their chins proudly. "Thank you!" She purred. As the clan deputy turned away, she looked around for Revengeheart, excited to share her news. She spotted his broad white shoulders by the side of the clearing. He had his back to her, speaking with Blackstorm and Mottledface.

She let out a purr and grabbed her thrush, quickly crossing the clearing toward him. As she neared, she heard Blackstorm speaking.

"I don't want to waste time with young cats," The dark warrior was grumbling. "Why can't some other warrior deal with Poisonedsap's kits?"