How Could You?

"Letting you go was the hardest thing I've ever had to do." A forlorn look dawned on his face as he looked down to the girl standing before him.

"Well evidently, it wasn't very hard for you," she spat at him.

"You don't understand! I did what I had to do!" he cried as a look of anger came over her face.

"You didn't have to leave me behind! I could have gone with you!"

"It wasn't that easy!"

"You could have just picked me up."

"You would've slowed me down."

"Oh, really?!" Disgust graced her features.

"You know how it is in this world."

"I'm a little girl! I could have been trampled!"

The two continued to bicker. Onlookers had amused expressions. Eventually, a voice broke in, having a joking tilt.

"Alright you two. We've got to get home soon. You've made quite the scene here."

"But Mom! I'm still mad at him!" the little girl cried as her mother scooped her up into her arms.

"I know, baby. It was very mean of him to leave you behind," she said as she shook her head at the man standing next to her.

"Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do to win! She was slowing me down, so I left her behind!"

"She's six. And you're technically not even supposed to be in the race. The race was for kids 8 & under."

"I have the mindset of a 4 year old."

"Go get in the car."

Random burst of inspiration in Walmart at 6 am.