Spacey-Wacey Time Travel

"You sure you want to do this?" Jill asked me as the currently unnamed scientists walked around, busy with prepping both me & the machine I was about to step into.

"Absolutely, I mean, what is there to lose? This'll probably be the most social interaction I've had in months," I fiddled with the string that was keeping my mask in place.

"Okay, just remember that you only get an hour. Once your time is up, you will be immediately transferred back here. So, no dilly-dallying," Jill squinted her eyes, smiling in the only way you could in the middle of a pandemic.

One of the nameless scientists walked up to Jill & started talking about something scientific. I could hardly hear what they were saying & doubted that I'd be able to keep up anyway.

I turned, examining the room. It wasn't too interesting; it looked like every lab you've ever seen in a movie or read about in a book. The machine looked like your standard time machine. Is there a standard way for a time machine to look, you may ask. Well, considering this is the first time machine I've seen, it's my standard.

"Hey, actually, quick question." Jill & her associate, who really isn't too important to this story, both turned to me. "How come y'all spent time building this," I gestured to the machine, "instead of, I don't know, anything else? And why do I, a 15-year old girl from West Virginia, get to use it?"

"Plot convenience. Now, are you ready?" Jill walked towards me. I nodded as she led me towards the machine.

"Shouldn't I be wearing a suit or something to protect me?" I glanced down at what I was wearing: jeans, a t-shirt, & my Starkid hoodie.

"Maybe, but you're the first one to go through, so we don't know. Also, don't forget about that contract you signed that said the lab isn't responsible if you get lost in the space-time continuum." One of the scientists came over & held the form so I could be reminded of the potentially horrible decision I made.

"Is that even a real thing?" I scanned the document before looking back to Jill. She shrugged.

I was prepped by a few scientists who were hovering around the machine & then stepped into it.

"See you in an hour!" Jill waved cheerily at me as doors seemed to appear out of nowhere & shut me in. I waved back as I heard a whirring noise.

Spacey-wacey time travel ensues.

I was suddenly in a very small dark room. I went to stand up but hit my head. Reaching out, I felt for my surroundings until I grabbed a doorknob. Turning it, I stepped out of a closet & into a mess of a room.

"Y'know, quarantine really did wonders for my room," I mumbled as I eyed the pile of books lying on my floor.

"Who the hell are you?" On my bed was me, who looked utterly confused as to why a shorter version of herself just emerged from her closet.

"Hey, watch your language, this is a school assignment. Also, haha, coming out of the closet. Wink wink, nudge nudge," I said as I played with the doorknob.

"Did you just say, 'wink wink, nudge nudge' out loud?" she sat up & looked around the room, probably looking for something to hit me with.

"I'm future you. You from September. You with slightly longer hair." I spun in a circle before spreading my arms out in a tada! movement. "I'm here to tell you that everything goes to heck because of the virus."

"I don't think I've ever said, 'everything goes to heck' before."

"Buckle up, Buttercup. Times are changing."

"Okay, so I know that I have never said that."

I grinned. "Well, this is what happens after you become a theatre kid." Kat 2.0's eyes widened. My smile got bigger, "Oh yes! During quarantine, you watch Newsies & that's your gateway drug. After that it's Tuck Everlasting, which is the best musical ever, by the way, & then Dear Evan Hansen, & so on."

"Good lord."

"Oh also, when Black Friday comes out, Zachary is gonna stay up until 3 am & watch it just so he can say he watched it before you."

"Wait, wait, go back," she waved her hands.

You came out here to follow a man? Harvard Law was just part of that plan? Man, what rich romantic planet are you from? I started humming.

"You said something about the virus. Covid?"

"Yep. A worldwide pandemic ensues, schools close, Karens cry over nothing, yada yada, the whole deal. Can I have these?" as I was talking, I picked up a packet of Life Savers.

"They're yours," she shrugged. "Black Friday?"

"Newest Starkid musical," I said as I struggled to open the packet. "Any questions?"

"Well, yeah, but if you're me, then you aren't gonna want to answer questions if I'm just gonna find out in a couple months anyway."

I laughed, "You are exactly right." I looked down to the Life Savers packet that was in my hand before handing them to her, "Can you open this?"

She shook her head but took it anyway, "If you can't open it, why do you think I can?"

I shrugged, "I don't know. Anyways, I'm only here for an hour, so," I trailed off as I walked over to the window & flung open the curtains.

"Woah!" Kat 2.0 yelled.

"You need light, trust me. I wake up to natural light every morning & I feel so much better now. Oh, stop it, you're not a vampire," I said as I turned around & found her squinting & covering her face. "Did you open it?"

"Uhh," she looked down to the packet & tore it open. "Here."

I took it from her & popped a green one in my mouth. "You want the purples? I don't like grape candies."

"Yeah, I don't either."

"Oh, right." 

This was an assignment I had to do for English. What would you say to your past self if you could go back to January 2020 & warn them about the pandemic? Anyway, wanted to post it. Also, sorry for the abprut ending, it couldn't go any longer than 3 pages & I reached the limit so I just ended it there.

Idk what else to say, soooooo what would you tell your past self?

Love y'all!

~Kat <3    9/21/20