The Shot

A loud BANG echoed behind him. The barren wastelands echoed the noise until it was all he could hear. The noise seemed deafening, filling his ears as he stumbled to the ground. Shouts were seeping into his bones, sapping the strength from him as if he was nothing more than a maple tree in March. Bullets flew faster than he could see. Men dropped like flies around him. There was nothing he could do. The medic bag at his side hung loosely, as useless as a glass hammer with all the carnage around him.

A loud shot echoed behind him before he collapsed. All feeling left his body. He lay there for a matter of seconds before an ethereal force lifted him up. He looked down & saw a man, merely more than a boy, where he had been just moments before, his limbs askew at doll-like angles. He crouched down, studying his own face. For the first time, he looked at it not through a mirror, but through his own eyes. The very same eyes that stared back at him, unblinking for the rest of eternity. The way they gazed back at him made him feel as if they could see straight through him & right into the secrets he so desperately tried to hide.

Closing the eyes of the dead, in hopes that he may once again sleep peacefully, he turned away. The din from the battle still echoed around him, yet he could no longer see any of it. The only thing in the field surrounding him was his own corpse, laying behind him.

Not for the first time in his life, he had no clue what to do. Was this his punishment? He felt quite useless during his life, so now in the afterlife, he would know the true meaning of being idle, perhaps. Was he expected to wander this wasteland in perpetuity, as nothing more than a wooden husk? Was he to spend the hereafter as a shell of his former self, reduced to nothing more than a doll?

Stuck in his thoughts & quite unsure of what to do, he sat down & pondered what exactly was assumed of him in this desolate wasteland. 

This was just something I had to do for class, y'know, write a brief fictional narrative or whatever, based on a picture. The picture is up top. If you can't see it, let me know, & I'll add it separately & see if that fixes it. Anyway, thought I might as well upload here. Fun fact, I lost inspiration half-way through, so if it sucks I'm sorry; blame my brother for distracting me. 

~Kat <3   4/15/20