Chapter 2: Battle On Board

Using my telekinesis, I brought down the crossbar onto the mercenary. I saw Steve throw a knife into the hand of a man who was about to push an alarm button. Running over, I withdrew my own knife and thrust it into his heart, kicking him to the floor. I had to admit, running around with the SHIELD uniform was a bit better than running around with a red suit which had a long cape on it that I could easily trip over. I was able to use Steve's shield and with my telekinesis, bounce it from place to place and hit multiple people. We constantly fought before there was a halt in the fighting. 

'Hold!' one of the mercenaries yelled, pressing a gun to the back of my head, which distinctly brought me back to before I went into a coma in 1991, when one of the soldiers aboard the train to mutant jail had told me to shut up and pressed a gun to my head. Erik was so mad then. That made me miss him in that instant. Just then, the muffled sound of a gun rang out, the guy who was holding the gun to my head collapsed and Rumlow landed, followed by Romanoff and multiple other agents and members of Rumlow's STRIKE team. 

'Thanks, Rumlow.' He chuckled and removed his parachute. 

'Yeah. You guys seemed pretty helpless without me.'

'You know I can hold my own, Rumlow.' Just then, I heard Natasha call out. 

'What about the nurse that lives across the hall from you? She seems kind of nice.'

'You know I wouldn't betray my feelings for Adelaide. Secure the engine room, then find me a date.'

'I'm multitasking!' With that sentence, she jumped over a railing on the ship and went to do her business in the engine room. After running around with Cap and taking out a few more mercenaries, I heard Rumlow speak over the earpieces. 

'Targets acquired. STRIKE in position.' So far, everything was going to plan. Then I heard Steve speak. 

'Natasha, what's your status? Status, Natasha.'

'Hang on!' There was silence over the earpieces before she finally spoke. 'Engine room secure.' In a few minutes, Rumlow and his team had taken out the main room and found the hostages. But over the earpieces, I heard Rumlow again. This time with bad news.

'Hostages en route to extraction. Romanoff missed the rendezvous point, Cap. Hostiles are still in play.' 

'Natasha, Batroc's on the move,' I spoke into my earpiece. 'Circle back to Rumlow and protect the hostages. Natasha. Steve...' He looked over at me, but we were already distracted. A man with light-coloured hair ran at us and began a series of punches and kicks at Steve. Steve blocked them as best as he could, but then he yelled. 

'Adelaide!' I ran towards the man, tackling him forcefully into a door. With one punch, I knocked him unconscious. Standing up, Steve came into the room with me. I shook my hand vigorously. 'You okay?' he whispered.

'Yeah. May have sprained my wrist a tad bit. I'll get it looked at when we get back to SHIELD headquarters. But punching people does hurt. Leave it to the super soldiers.' I heard him chuckle. I was about to chuckle too, but not before I looked up and saw Natasha leaning over a computer. 

'Well, this is awkward...' she trailed out, but I came up to her and looked over her shoulder. 

'Rumlow needed you. What the hell are you doing here?' Steve came up next to us. 

'You're saving SHIELD intel.'

'Whatever I can get my hands on.' 

'Our mission is to rescue hostages,' I snapped. 

'No, that's your mission and you've done it beautifully.' She removed a USB drive from the computer. She was about to leave, but Steve grabbed her arm. 

'You just jeopardised this whole operation.'

'Now that's overstating things.' Just then, I saw a movement out of the corner of my eye. Batroc was up and running. Apparently damn near spraining my wrist was for nothing. Batroc threw a grenade on the ground. Steve, taking quick action, grabbed Natasha and took my hand in his. As she shot the glass with her gun, he smashed through it with his shield as the whole room went up in an explosion. We backed up against the wall. I grimaced and bit my lip. I cradled my very injured wrist in my other hand. My cheek was cut and bleeding from the impact through the window. 

'Okay,' Natasha gasped out. 'That one's on me.'

'Damn right,' I snapped, getting up with Steve and leaving the area.