Chapter 13: Project INSIGHT Rises

'I know the road hasn't exactly been smooth, and some of you would have gladly kicked me out of the car on the way,' Alexander Pierce announced to the members of the council as they were readying to toast their glasses and herald Project INSIGHT. 'Finally, we're here, and the world should be grateful.' They raised their glasses. Just then, Steve's voice rang out over the intercom.

'Attention all SHIELD agents, this is Steve Rogers.' Pierce looked up in surprise. 'You've heard a lot about me over the past few days. Some of you were even ordered to hunt me down. But I think its time you know the truth. SHIELD is not what we thought it was. It's been taken over by HYDRA. Alexander Pierce is their leader.' The councilmen looked at him, shocked and angry.

From inside the communications sector of the building, Steve went on. 'The STRIKE and INSIGHT crew are HYDRA as well. I don't know how many more, but I know they're in the building. They could be standing right to you. They almost have what they want: absolute control. They shot Nick Fury, and it won't end there. If you launch those helicarriers today, HYDRA will be able to kill anyone who stands in their way. Unless we stop them. I know I'm asking a lot, but the price of freedom is high. It always has been. But it's a price I'm willing to pay. And if I'm the only one, then so be it. But I'm willing to bet I'm not.' He turned to see Sam and I smiling at him.

'Amen, Captain America,' I chorused. Sam came up to him.

'Did you write that down first, or was that off the top of your head?'

In the councilroom...

'You smug son of a bitch,' the older councilman said to Pierce.

'I guess I've got the floor,' Pierce announced.

On the runway of one of the helicarriers...

'How do we know the good guys from the bad guys?' Sam shouted over the earpieces.

'If they're shooting at you, they're bad!' Steve yelled. Sam took off and Steve stayed on the runway to fight the rogue SHIELD agents.

Back in the councilroom...

'Let me ask you a question,' Pierce asked one of the councilmen. 'If Pakistan marched into Mumbai tomorrow and you knew that they were going to drag your daughters into a soccer stadium for execution and you could stop it with the flick of a switch: would you? Wouldn't you all?' Pierce presented the cup to the councilman. Taking it, he threw it to other side of the room.

'Not if it was your switch.' Just then I, disguised as a SHIELD agent and Natasha, dressed as the councillady, began to fight the HYDRA agents. After taking them down, we stopped and I pulled off my mask.

'I thought I ordered the Winter Soldier to kill you, Lehnsherr.'

'You thought wrong.' Natasha peeled off her disguise as well.

'I'm sorry. Did I step on your moment?' Natasha taunted.

A few moments later...

Natasha was hacking into the main computer of SHIELD while I held Pierce at gunpoint.

'You're a traitor, Pierce.'

'What did you do to Barnes?'

'I showed him who I was. I used his vulnerability to expose him to the truth. My control on him was only brief, but when the affects of the brainwashing wear off, he will know who I am. HYDRA's so-called new world order is dead. There is no victory. Only the war.' Just then one of the councilmen spoke.

'What are you doing?' This was at Natasha.

'She's disabling security protocols and dumping all the secrets on the Internet.'