Chapter 6: Tragedy at SHIELD

Steve and I pulled up on his motorcycle in front of the apartments.

'How are you feeling?' he asked. 

'Long day. Shower and bed. Me and you.'

'Do what you like, Adelaide. I won't bother you.'

'Great.' We went inside to see a young woman, the nurse who lived across the hall from us. Natasha was right. She was nice. Very. She had only ever told me that her name was Sharon, or Agent 13. Steve knew practically nothing about her, except the fact that he liked her... only a little bit, due to the fact that I was living with him and we both had unrequited feelings for each other. 

'So sweet,' we heard her say. 'That is so nice.' She waved to us and I saw that she was carrying a basket of laundry. 'Okay, bye.' Dumping her phone in the basket, she turned to us. 'Hi. My aunt. She's kind of an insomniac.'

'Hey, if you want...' Steve offered. 'You're welcome to use my machine. Might be cheaper than the one in the basement.'

'Yeah?' she replied, an intrigued look crossing her face. 'What's it cost?'

'A cup of coffee?'

'Thank you, but I already have a load downstairs. And you really don't want my scrubs in your machine. I just finished a rotation in the infectious disease ward so...'

'Well, we'll keep our distance,' I said. 

'Thanks, Adelaide. And hopefully, not too far.'

'You're welcome. We won't keep our distance too much.' She was about to walk off, but then she turned and said something that sent chills down my spine. 

'Oh, and I think you left your stereo on.'

'Right. Thank you.' 

'Yeah.' Steve looked at me. 

We had gone in through the window, the music getting louder than ever. 

'Steve,' I whispered, glancing at him. 'Something's not right.'

'I agree.' We went around the corner, Steve grabbing his shield for protection. Taking my hand, he made me come behind him, attempting to protect me behind both his body and the shield. When we came into the room, the person in the corner of the room was none other than Nick Fury himself. 'I don't remember giving you a key,' Steve spoke. He tried to turn on the lamp, but Fury turned it back off as the vinyl music played in the background. 

'Something happened to you, Fury. What was it?'

'An incident. And did you really think I'd need a key? My wife kicked me out.'

'I didn't know you were married,' I said. 

'There's a lot of things you don't know about me.'

'I know, Nick. And that's the problem,' Steve snapped.

'I'm sorry I had to do this, but I had no place else to crash.' Then, he showed us a message displayed across his phone. Ears Everywhere. Eyes Everywhere. The message sent more chills down my spine. 

'Who else knows about your wife?' Steve asked. Nick Fury stood and crossed over the room to us. 

'Just... my friends.'

'Is that what we are?' he asked, his jaw set hard. It didn't take a mind reader to know that he was still frustrated with the altercation following the recapture of the Lemurian Star. 

'Steve.' He looked sideways at me. 

'That's up to you,' Fury replied. Just then, there was a sound of a gun going off and Fury cried out before collapsing. I looked up to the roof and there was a man holding a gun. Something about him seemed vaguely familiar... but I couldn't place it. Steve knelt down by Fury and I heard him gasp. 'Don't... trust... anyone...' He placed something in Steve's hand before closing his eyes and going limp. I turned back to see Steve holding out the small device.