4

"Areon, you are not only to make sure of her safety, you are to tell us of any that disrespect her. It doesn't matter who it is. Is that clear?" Jesse says as he pulls the werewolf into his study.

"Of course, my lord." Areon says bowing his head.

"We will be leaving for the village after she eats. She is to be allowed to eat if she gets hungry, she is far too small for her age." Jesse is not happy about that, but already knows that Esmeralda's family was poor.

"What name would you like, corazon?" Santo asks. All of Jesse's brother's had been waiting in the room when they came out of the bathing room. Carlo had enough food for them all to snack on while the girl eats a full meal.

The girl looks at him and frowns. "Why do you call me that? Or why do you call me tesora or princessa? I am none of those things. I am an unwanted beggar according to my parents and the villagers. Little more than the refuse they burn to keep warm."

"Oh, but tesora, some people are blind to the treasures that are right in front of them."

"That and now you are a princess, love. With Jesse being the turned child of the king and his heir and us his children and bonded we are also princes. That also makes you a princess now."

The girl shakes her head in disbelief. "I think you all need to have your minds checked. I think you are all crazy." Jesse smiles as do the others. They are all pleased that she feels comfortable enough with them to say those things to them. They would never allow any one else to do so or show them such disrespect.

"Your eyes are as green as emeralds," Santo says softly and Jesse looks at the girl consideringly.

"What are emeralds?" The girl asks in innocent wonder.

Jesse smiles gently, "They are jewels that range in shades of green for the most part and are highly treasured for their beauty." Jesse nods in decision, "I think you are right Santo. I think your name should be Esmeralda. A beautiful girl to match the beauty of the treasured jewel. Ours to treasure, to care for, our heart. What do you say, Little one?"

The girl's mouth is dropped down in shock. "You think I'm a treasure like those jewels?"

All the brothers nod. "Perhaps the most important treasure I've ever seen and I've been around for over eight hundred years."

The girl shakes her head just trying to understand all that's happened to her this day. How her life went from a life of fear to one of warmth. 

"Do you like the name, princessa?" Carlo asks her gently recalling her to the present.

"I love it!" Esmeralda exclaims excitedly. They all relax slightly now that they have a name to call her.

Before much longer Esmeralda starts yawning and looks at them in horror. "I'm sorry."

They just smile at her. "There is no reason to apologize to us for that. It's been a long day for you. Time for bed if you've had enough food?"

"I can't remembering ever having so much food before. Thank you." Esmeralda says pushing her plate away although she wishes she could keep the rest for later.

"The fruit in the bowl is for later, whenever you get hungry you can have some. We generally just have two meals here, in the morning and in the late evening. It's later than normal because we were out so late. Areon will be with you during your evening meal tomorrow since we won't be here." Carlo explains as Jesse catches the tired girl up into his arms.

"Tomorrow we'll take you shopping and get you some things for your room as well as things for you to wear." Jesse says as he places Esmeralda on the bed and pulls the blankets over her.

The other three leave the room.

"What am I supposed to call you?" Esmeralda asks holding onto Jesse's arm to stop him from leaving her side.

Jesse smiles at her, "Just call us by name. That is a right we give to you and you alone, Esmeralda. Now, close those eyes and have some happy dreams. In the morning you will have breakfast then we'll go shopping."

"Jesse? Where will you sleep?" Esmeralda asks sleepily already well on her way to sleep.

"I'll sleep next to you, if that is okay? But first, I have work that I must do." Esmeralda gives a noise of assent before losing the fight against sleep.

Jesse never thought he'd feel anything other than the cold grip of ambition, greed and the hot grip of lust. But looking at Esmeralda he feels, for the first time the warm flame of love for someone other than his brothers. He knows that he'll die to protect her and he knows that his brothers feel the same way as him.

Jesse blows out the candle and turns down the lamp so that Esmeralda could have a light should she awaken before he returns. He doesn't want her scared.

Leaving his room he meets up with his brothers to make plans for their attack on the village later that day. A smile, a cold and twisted one takes over his face. They will pay for breaking the accords and for how they treated Esmeralda. Especially the parents that failed their daughter so epically.

They are all fools to throw away such a treasure as their daughter.

A village full of fools that only the ancient ones had the wisdom to see the treasure right before their eyes. Soon those fools will pay and pay dearly...

The carriage stops in front of the store. All four of the vampires are dressed to face the day, they hate it when they have to go out in the sun and it puts them in a bad mood. They step down and then help Esmeralda down. Last Areon steps down and looks around the village to spot any possible danger to his young charge.

Only after he assures himself that there is none he follows the others into the shop they entered to begin their large clothing order.