12

Esme is pulled onto Jesse lap once more. She snuggles into him knowing that what he's going to tell her is hard for him to say. She gives him what comfort she can, knowing that he is doing this to take her thoughts away from Areon and how much she misses him.

"When I and my brothers were born things were different. Our father was a petty little kinglet of his petty little kingdom. I was the first born and made arrogant from the spoiling that was done. I was entitled and knew it. My father never allowed others to punish me. However, due to my status, my father had his own punishments to give me.

"I was never allowed to lose control. If I did I was whipped. I was forced to learn self control at a very young age. I didn't like the pain of being whipped.

"My brothers were also taught this lesson, but it wasn't as strictly enforced for them as it was for me.

"Because of this, I was very controlled around my father, but when away from home I let loose. I was a very wild young man. Carlo was joined at the hip at that time and I am afraid that I got him into a lot of trouble because of it."

"I was a willing participant, Jesse. I knew that I could and even likely would get into trouble. But the fun we had was more than worth it." Carlo smiles at Jesse and Esme could feel the love and warmth the brothers have for each other.

"Soon the twins were old enough to join us in our fun and mayhem. I got them in more than a few scrapes as well." Jesse although sounding regretful is now lost to his memories and so doesn't hear his brothers denouncing the need for the sorrow, just like Carlo had.

"My father's territory was little more than the city and a few hundred acres beyond. There were many such countries like that at the time. There were constant wars changing the boundaries as the petty kinglets wished to add to their territory and were unable to hold onto what they would win.

"The neighboring kinglet was friendly with my father and had invited me to a party he was throwing. My father refused to allow me permission, fearing that something would happen to me. In my arrogance and pride I defied him, as did my brothers. We left the castle and village of my father and traveled to the nearby city state where the party was to be held.

"Carlo was courting the daughter of the kinglet so he soon separated to go looking after her. The kinglet introduced me to his special guest." Jesse is no longer there as memories take over. But the words come out telling Esme just what happened so long ago.

"The man presented to me was dark, but powerful. Immediately I knew that this man would be able to take and hold any territory that he wished. My father would have no chance, I would have no chance should he decide that he wanted what was ours.

"I was mesmerized by his eyes. I was mesmerized by him. By the end of the night he had taken me and made my his. When I woke the next night with a throat burning in need for a drink of blood he was shocked that I wasn't going crazy trying to find blood. It was the beginning of his fascination with me.

"We were just supposed to be there for a week long celebration, but things changed once I was turned.

"My master, or king or father whatever label you'd like to give him was more than pleased with me. I gained more than a little of his power when I turned. That added to my control I had learned growing up made it so that I never once gave into the blood lust all newborns experience. What he wasn't happy about was how close I was to Carlo.

"While he was busy with me, his brother and sister took interest in Desanto and Santo respectively. They too were changed that first night.

"When they were turned they did experience blood lust, but a much more controlled one then either of them had expected.