Chapter 3: Reaching

Hanji's POV

"Hey Erwin." I say with a smile brightly on my face. I showed him the teddy bear and chuckled softly, "Thanks for the bear! I'll have it in my office at the laboratory constantly to remind me of you."

Then those quizzical looks gave away a feeling that didn't sit right. He rose his thick eyebrows in confusion. "Hanji... I didn't give you any bear. As much as I'll take credit... I didn't give you anything. Where was this?"

"Outside our door... our apartment door."

"Call it into the police, Hanji." He says gruffly. "Someone might be stalking you."

I looked down at the gift, filling up with such disgust now. How could I thought of this gift from Erwin? But it was... a lovely gift. Maybe I'll find out who sent this to me. "I'll do it in my free-time, Erwin. For now, I gotta work."

His broad shoulders rolled back a bit. "Suit yourself."

I settled the gift on my desk, just staring at it. My hand began to tremble for the phone, but it wasn't stalkerish. It wasn't threatening... just a sweet doll there. A doll with a rose. I shook my head, trying to rid my mind of so many worries. I had to get back to work. That had to be on my mind now.

*   *   *

"You're not reporting it?!" Nanaba gasps, pushing me a bit. "Hanji, you need to report something like that!"

I shrugged, holding the bear in my arms. "I was... but I want to figure out who sent this to me. Weird how a secret admirer sent this to me at our apartment door. Not at my workplace... scary, but interesting."

"Not so! That is horrifying!"

"Just enough-" I got cut off when I saw this short figure in front of the door. He was leaning against the wall, sighing heavily. "Who are you?"

He perks up, getting off the wall. He ran his pale hand through his hair, waving nervously towards the both of us. "I'm Levi. Just wanted to have a talk with... Ms. Zoe."

Cautiously, I walked up to him with Nanaba by my side. "Who are you?" I repeated, slightly more demanding. "How do you know my name? Were you the one who left me this bear?" Questions began to flow out of my lips as I had the chance to interrogate him. "Answer me!"

Raising his pale hands in the air, he surrendered. "Again, I'm Levi. Levi Ackerman. I hired a private investigator to find you. I just wanted to know who you were... because.. I fell in love with you and I wanted to see you. To talk. That's the truth."

Nanaba stayed at my side, growling slightly. "Well... sorry to break your heart, but she's already taken. She has a boyfriend- 3 years strong. I bet they're gonna marry sometime this year. So get going!" 

"Nanaba, calm down." I turned to the man, Levi, and nodded my head. "Yeah... I already got a boyfriend sir. Sorry that you wasted so much money on finding me. Though, I'll keep the gift. To show that you did get your message to me."

He nodded, and I felt that he was disappointed heavily in me. But what can I say? Sure, I'll go out on a date while I'm waiting to be engaged to Erwin? No because I'm not a cheater. I'm a loyal woman. "Well... doesn't hurt if we can be friends, right?" He then proceeds to hand me a card with his information on it. "Here, it's my phone number. I rather us be friends then."

I nodded, taking his card. When he passed by, I could hear that disappointed sigh. 

"Jeez... that was weird. Who hires a private investigator to find a girl he had a crush on? Glad we got that cleared up. Though he could've been arrested for stalking you."

My shoulders soon fell heavy and I longed for a bath. "Eh... I guess... but he was really upset. Makes my heart feel so bad-"

"Don't feel bad, Hanji! He deserved it." Nanaba tried to reassure me as she unlocked the door. "Just keep thinking about Erwin- he'll clear up your mind. If that man comes back to you, demanding for a relationship, go to Erwin. I bet he can think of numerous ways to destroy that little man."

"Thinking that, it makes me feel sorry for Levi."

"Now we're referring him by his first name? It might not even be his real first name. Stop feeling bad. We can go straight to Erwin's place tonight-"

My head shook a bit as she suggested that. My hand even waved it off as we entered the apartment. "Naw, he said he was busy. I don't want to bother him."

"Suit yourself!"

*   *   *

Levi's POV

"So? How did it go?" Isabel's sweet voice filled my ears as I entered my house. I replied with a heavy sigh, walking towards my room. "Oh... not so great... tell me what happened, Bro?"

"That woman I fell for... she's already taken. If I had noticed her 3 years ago... I might've had her. Instead, I became her friend. At least... I think so." When I said that out loud, my heart sank. I tried to hide it- tried to deny that I even had feelings for the woman. But it was no use. I fell deeply in love with her. "Either way... I tried my best. I won't interfere with them any longer. Not between her and her... soon to be fiance."

"Levi, don't get so down..." Farlan's voice began to wafer into my room. "You tried. At least... you can write it out. That last song we produced- everyone loved it. As disappointing as it was, it can be your next song. Really, it's amazing."

"Not so amazing, Farlan."

"Still..."

I sighed, turning on the bath. The warm water flowed out of the faucet, and I laid my hand under there. It felt so warm... and I could just curl in it forever. Maybe this is how women felt when they had their hearts crushed in someone's hand. At least... I had some closure.