( five )

HONEY HONEY
CHAPTER FIVE

HONEY HONEY CHAPTER FIVE

IT was Tuesday. The library was full. At the furthest seat from the door, closest to the window, Carly sat. She was surrounded by fellow classmates including Maisie. Carly isolated herself with headphones. Carly had heard the lectures about music having no benefit to her studies but she completely disagreed. In their defence, music with lyrics or hard beats often did distract her from her homework. However, a playlist of lofi hip-hop and jazz was effective in helping her focus on her work. She had already completed the set of questions John had set her. Instead, she was studying her physics textbook, highlighting important information and making notes. Maisie sat in front of her, a similar setup but with her chemistry textbook. Maisie's dyed green hair was tied in a half up half down hairstyle, one earphone was missing from her ear as a girl whispered in her ear. Maisie listened, not removing her eyes from the text, nodding as she spoke. Maisie didn't reply to the girl. Instead, she tapped her friend on the arm. Carly looked up, confused, removing an earphone. "There's a party on Friday, wanna come?" 

Carly looked perplexed. When had she ever gone to a party? Carly didn't do well in social situations. She didn't want to spend the night sitting on an STD infested couch, listening to crappy remixes of songs she'd normally enjoy while Maisie flirted with a group of guys she'd never sleep with. Maisie expected the answer but asked anyway. Yes, they weren't best friends but she enjoyed Carly's company. "Is that even a question?" 

Maisie huffed at Carly's rejection. She thought maybe Carly would want to move forward in their relationship. They were barely considered friends and Maisie didn't like that. Carly was funny, opinionated, and at her core, kind. Maisie wanted someone like that in her life. "Forget I asked."

Carly didn't miss the vexation in her voice. Maybe she should make a friend. She and John were on their way to some sort of friendship after only a few months. Maisie had been by her side for nearly a year and they hadn't hung out once. Carly felt party guilty. It wasn't anything personal, she just didn't how to be friends. 

"fine" Carly mumbled the word loud enough for Maisie to hear. The smile grew on her face as Carly hid her face in her textbook. 

On Friday, Carly met John Ambrose once again, having to cut their meeting short. She had mentioned the party to him. He was staggered that she was willing to go. It didn't seem like her scene. She was much more suited to watching a crappy movie with her cats, munching on white chocolate chip cookies. 

She left half an hour early than usual. She needed time to find an outfit that wasn't flashy but stopped her from looking like a potato. Maisie was planning to pick her up. When she did she was in the passenger's seat, two girls in the back and a guy as the designated driver. "Everyone this is Carly. Carly this is Jess, Hailey, and my brother Sean"

Maisie pointed to each of them. They all gave Carly a kind smile and wave. Carly wasn't expecting to meet any new people tonight. She sunk back in the leather seat, a shy smile and wave was gestured in the air, aimed at whoever would take it. Carly didn't make eye contact the whole journey. Jess and Hailey were already in the middle of a make-out session before they were even halfway. Carly pressed herself against the car door as Jess's back neared towards her as Jess and Hailey got more intense. They arrived at their destination. Carly scurried out of the car, leaving the door open for the two girls. The two were too wrapped up in their own intimate world that they didn't notice their arrival. The trio left them to themselves and entered the house. Carly had no idea who owned the home. It could've belonged to any of the semi-wealthy jocks on the football team. Carly was amazed. She had never been inside a house so big. She estimated that her house could fit twice in here. She walked towards the kitchen as it seemed like the safest option. It was away from the sex-driven teenagers in the living room, pot-smoking ones in the bathroom, and the drunk off their minds ones in the garden. As he couldn't drink himself, Maisie's brother Sean was the bartender for the evening. Carly watched him make drinks for the impatient partiers. She was highly sceptical when he handed her a drink.