Part 4

(So sorry for being late in posting this! My son was sick and I hadn't had time to sit down and finish some of the dialogue. I know that some of the purists will not like my choices here but I can't help it. I have been in love with these characters since I was 12 and I want them to be friends. ;)

Two weeks later in London at Lady Susan Worcester's house, Grosvenor Square

"Good morning Charlotte! Did you rest well? I know it has been somewhat of a tumultuous week but I would like to introduce you to some dear friends who share our general distaste for "fashionable" society if you feel up to it today." Lady Susan smiled at her protégé and hoped that she would be amenable to taking tea with her inner circle this afternoon. Lady Babington had already sent her intentions to come, but only one of her other friends had sent word that they are even in town, let alone able to attend.

"I am very well, thank you! Yesterday's fittings have given me quite the appetite today, though I know better than to indulge or I would have to repeat the experience again in a week!"

"Well I am certainly glad to hear your levity returning with your smile. Though I think we can safely presume that we shall not again see Mrs. Campion or Mr. Parker again until the ball on Friday."

Immediately Charlotte's smile faded with the simple mention of them.

"My dear you must bear up, anyone with eyes can see that Mr. Parker has no interest or intention to marry that creature! Her manners and address have not recommended her to anyone other than blatant sycophants who want nothing more than to be in her esteem since she has a fortune and no close relations to speak of to inherit!"

Charlottes face looked even more bleak if that was possible and said, "what a sad life she must lead! Perhaps her outlook on life and how she treats others is related to her not having or knowing what love truly is and has the potential to be."

"I think you give the lady too much forgiveness, though your feelings do you credit. You truly are a far superior woman, and are lucky enough to know a distinction that many cannot boast."

"I think you flatter me Susan, though I appreciate your sentiments. It would not grieve me whatsoever if I could forget all that has transpired between Mr. Parker and myself, though the memories give me some hope of finding it again in the future. And as for today, I believe I should be happy to meet anyone that you consider to be a dear friend."

"Excellent! Let us see if Anna has finished pressing your tea gown for today, although I doubt the ladies coming would care a fig if you wore a towel!"

As tea time approached, Lady Esther Babington was the first to arrive. She was truly happy to see Miss Heywood and lamented their time apart. She could not be happier in her recent marriage and was positively glowing from head to satin slippered toe. Marriage could not possibly suit anyone as well as she! Charlotte found her to be quite a different woman to the cold, severe, and melancholy one she had met at the beginning of the summer. Her eyes shone with care and love, her clothes, though of the same cut as before, were brightly colored and brought out the tones in her skin to make her seem to blossom in the sun filtering through the lace curtains of Lady Susan's parlor. She told them that her honeymoon was being postponed until after Sidney's wedding because Babington had refused to miss his friend walking down the aisle. Esther didn't mind the delay either because spring in the Alps was said to be exquisite. She inquired after Charlotte's family and related the circumstances of Charlotte's acquaintances in Sanditon. Lady Denham was doing as well as ever; feisty and adamant in her dislike of Mrs. C. She made quite a public point of declaring her enmity, the chief reason being her treatment of Charlotte after saving her life and the appointment of a clerk to take care of the paperwork for the building of Sanditon who had apparently made a complete mess of everything within a week. Lady Denham threatened to call in her loan to Mr. Parker if the clerk was not replaced immediately. Apparently, the entire town was talking about Lady Denham's refusal to allow Mrs. Campion and Mr. Parker to hold their wedding party in the Assembly Rooms in Sanditon. The event was intended to be a publicity engagement for the town, and Mrs. C made no mystery of her resentment towards the Lady of the County as well as denigrating the decision as being detrimental to the success of their shared business venture. No one in Sanditon was fond of Mrs. Campion, and very few kept up any pretense of liking her at all. Only the Parker family would admit her for social occasions at their home, and even then, only Tom pretended any friendship with her. Mary feigned illness whenever she was scheduled to arrive at Trafalgar House and though Eliza had taken some apartments overlooking the sea in Sanditon Mary had never accepted an invitation to visit them. Apparently, Mrs. Campion had decided not to debase herself to Lady Denham over the Assembly Rooms and was paying for a large number of tents and pagodas to be erected on the beach for the wedding party. Georgianna was expected to arrive in London early next week and was anxious as ever to see Charlotte, she lamented the Beaufort girls and Mrs. Griffiths whom she referred to as the "Gorgon." Eager to see her friend, Charlotte smiled and imagined attending events with not one but two friends with whom she could share her true thoughts and feelings about society and the world.