Part 6

(This part is a long time coming, and I'm sorry it took so long to get it written, edited {somewhat XD} and published for you all. THANK YOU so so so much for your encouragement to keep this story rolling. I'm hoping for at least a few twists and turns you don't expect... I know where I want to take this story but it seems to be taking on a life of its own and the characters are telling ME what they want and where it should go. Crazy right? Anyway, I hope you all enjoy and please tell me if there are typos etc since I am my own copy-editor haha! Stay healthy out there!!)

Before he could open his eyes, Sidney immediately regretted his choices from the night before. He couldn't remember leaving White Club but he had a vague recollection of the sun rising so it must have been early, or late depending on one's perspective. It would seem that lately he was unable to exist without drink; could not wrap his mind around the reality of daily existence without the filter of inebriation to numb the edges of the world. He had not felt this level of disquiet and anger since he was passed over by Eliza at eighteen. The anger which he now directed at himself manifested in a sour humor and excessive libations since he couldn't bring himself to speak to Tom or engage in wedding plans with Eliza. He couldn't let himself to admit his animosity to anyone except Babington and Crowe, and they were as sympathetic as good friends ever could be. The only person who would openly acknowledge the depth of his feelings was Mary- and even she would only show him her knowledge of his state by writing to her housekeeper in London to make sure he had everything he needed in the way of healthy food and less drink in the house.

He tumbled from his bed, slowly moving his jaw and peeling his tongue from the roof of his mouth as he stumbled to the chamber pot. There was a fresh decanter of water on his dressing table next to the wash basin and a fire had already been lit and was starting to burn down which meant the servants had already come and gone. He washed his face and downed two cups of water before fumbling through his dressing table drawer to find his pocket watch and check the time. Faith! It is already two o'clock!? He had missed his appointment with Tom's solicitor to go over the new contracts for the Sanditon building project as they affected Mrs. Campion's investiture. He rang for his valet and stripped down to dress in clean cotton drawers. His valet appeared as if by magic, the man must've been waiting in the hallway for me to rouse, and informed Sidney that the post had come and Babington had already come by to call just before noon to inform him that he and Lady Babington would be attending Vauxhall Gardens that evening and would love for Sidney to join them. Eliza was in the north at her estate tending to domestic matters needing her attention involving her mother and brothers so he was not required to escort her if he chose to attend. The prospect of being in society with or without Eliza did not appeal to Sidney, however he would enjoy the diversion and good drink available at Vauxhall and decided to confirm the engagement with his friend.

Thanking his valet, he quickly dressed and headed down for a quick bite of food before he went to the solicitor to make a new appointment. His stomach rumbled as the smell of sausages and toast wafted from the dining room. As he fixed his coffee, he rummaged through the post to see that there was a letter from a man from Mr. Hawkins' firm in Antigua. He opened it immediately.

Dear Sir,

I write to you with the gravest of news. Mr. Hawkins, beloved founder of this law firm and solicitor to the late Captain Lamb has fallen ill and passed on from a bout of stomach pains and fever which recently swept through the island. The spread has also claimed the life of the overseers you appointed to your own, and Mr. Lamb's estates and plantations here in Antigua. I beg you to either write me with your choices for replacements, or if possible, come and choose a new solicitor and appoint them yourself. I have taken it upon myself to undertake the maintenance of paying your workers and securing the businesses as best I can until I receive orders from you directly. I understand this is a difficult decision, but we must make haste in the appointments so as to maintain the status of your employees and to curtail any discord amidst the workers. Please reply as to your immediate instructions.