Part 8

Part Eight

            The fresh October wind carried salty sea spray high into the air, up over the cliff tops, into the ice plants and scrub heather to frost the unruly curls sliding out from underneath Charlotte's bonnet. Dawn was rising rosy fingered and misty over the hills to the east, warming her cheeks and lighting the mist of her breath in front of her to bright gold as she breathed deep of the sea fog mixed with the fire smoke of town signaling the colder mornings and shorter days to come.  She could make out the shadows of clouds far out onto the surface of the sea through the light fog. Morning was her favorite time of day, especially by the seaside. The angle of light turned nearly everything from pink and orange, to burnished gold as the sun rises, warming the land and all who live upon it. The field laborers in the area were working hard on what remained of the harvest and in a few days the townsfolk of Sanditon were to hold a ball to celebrate the changing season.

            Although Lady Denham had included a small carriage as part of her living allowances at Denham House Charlotte loved her morning walks by the shore, especially today to visit Tom, Mary, and the children for breakfast; being the first of what she knew would be many Wednesday morning appointments with them.  Charlotte was so heartened to be back in Sanditon. She still felt as though she couldn't believe she was here, it seemed like ages ago that she was here staying with the Parkers for the summer. Charlotte shook her head and marched forward, smiling at the grasses frosted over from the nights chill just now beginning to thaw in the gentle warmth of the morning sun.

            As the clifftop path joined with the busier town lane Charlotte couldn't help but be excited about the future laid before her. Employment which not only stimulated her intellectually but that she enjoyed immensely. Denham House, though in need of some attentions, was still a lovely home, ten times larger than she had anticipated, and much more easily remedied than she had at first suspected. Mr. Stringer had come by before she arrived and made a list of what needed to be done and with what urgency with Lady Denham's express instructions to bring the home back up to snuff after the apathetic ministrations of her nephew's stay there during the summer.

            As she approached Trafalgar House she was surprised by the commotion of footmen out front. She spotted Mary directing a servant to the now approaching carriage.

            "Good Morning Mary! Am I too early? Or did I mark the wrong day?"

            "Goodness me! Oh, my dearest Charlotte! I am so very sorry to have today be as it is now..."

            "But what has happened? Surely it cannot be so urgent as to take us from our breakfast and beach walk with the children!"

            She pulled Charlotte inside the home and into the sitting room and a warm fireside, calling for tea and toast before walking over to two chairs near the fire with a tea table between.

            "There has been an accident, I do not know how serious it was I'm afraid. We only got the note first thing this morning and all it said was that Sidney fell from his horse in London and is in serious condition.  The note was from Sidney's solicitor and he said there was more imperative news that Tom must attend to as well."

            Charlotte was staring off into oblivion. The latter half of Mary's brief speech was lost to her as she could not believe what she had heard; Sidney was hurt, but alive? Her stomach became a lead weight and she was glad of the chair behind her as her knees went weak and she half collapsed onto it. 

"What on earth happened?"

            "I do not know; all we have heard is that he was riding in town a few days ago and lost his seat in the middle of the street. He is alive, but unconscious, Tom and Arthur are headed to London now to be with him and the children and I are to follow in a few days. Sidney has been taken to Bedford Place and has been installed in his rooms with the constant supervision of our family doctor. His solicitor wrote to inform Tom of some changes in the funding of Sanditon with regard to Mrs. Campion's investments but I do not know more than that. I am so sorry to tell you of this my dear, I hoped that you two would be able to make some kind of amends but as it stands..."