Chapter 1. "Kiyaki Asaka"

Kiyaki:

There was a time when we ate together.

"Rest, i'll grab your dinner"

There was a time when you looked slightly happy, even over the smallest of things.

"Here's your medicine and a glass of water"

Now you looked empty, as if you already gave up.

"I'll put your favorite show on"

Our living room didn't have a large couch anymore, it was now made into a private home hospital room. A hospital bed was positioned in the corner where we use to have shelves of books and a small seating area. My mother rested on top of the bed in comfortable clothing, her thin hair was spanned out across her white pillow. Her dark eyes watched the television screen that sat in front of her bed. Her eyes were now sunken as well as the rest of her face. The medicine they had her on, didn't help with appetite and now that she was bed ridden, her strength was non existent.

She gave a weak chuckle to something that happened on the show as her fingers laid gently on her covered stomach, a thin blanket hiding her thin body underneath.

I walked over from our kitchen with a plate of food and a small TV tray. She gave me a small smile as she tried to grab it. "It's okay I got it" I reassured.

There was a small trace of guilt as she averted her eyes. 

I pretended to not notice and forced a smile that didn't quite reach my eyes. "I'm going over to a friends to study for a bit, we have a big test coming up. I'll be back in a couple of hours." 

I stuffed my feet into my worn down sneakers and grabbed a bottle of her next dose of medicine. I placed it on a stand that sat next to her bed. "Just in case I don't come back in time."

She grabbed my hand as I went to turn towards the door. Her hand was cold and her now thin fingers gently grazed my knuckles. "Don't rush, have fun"

I gave her a small smile and cupped her cold hand with my warm ones. "Okay mom"

I grabbed a bag I had pre-packed when I got home from school and left the house. I looked back at my house and quickly jogged down the road. As I ran, I fumbled with the zipper of the bag and yanked out a stained apron and began to sloppily tie it around my body. Once it was some what okay, I slung the bag on my back and yanked my long black hair into a pony tail.

A small building finally focused in my vision and the smell coming from the open front doors, left street wanderers drooling. I walked in, trying to control my breathing from my small jog and I quickly fixed my half assed apron.

A plump older lady sat behind the register of the counter of the small bakery. A smiled graced her face as our eyes met.

"Oh! Asaka, I was beginning to think you were going to be late today. That's very unlike you."

I forced a smile easily. "Sorry Yazaki, I ran into a few friends on my way here, it won't happen again." I gave a polite bow and was met with a small chuckle.

"No need to apologize, you weren't late, you were almost late. I was just worried is all, since you've never missed a day."

I was fifteen and middle school was about done for me, all that was next was high school and I wasn't so sure if I was going to do that. With the way things are looking with my mother, I should go straight into working.

It was frowned upon to work and go to school, especially so young, so finding a job was difficult. I hid it from my mom so she wouldn't stress and I know she would be beating herself over it. This wasn't her choice, if the roles were reversed, my mother would do anything for me to keep living another day.

The pay check here wasn't a lot but it helped with small school fee's that I told my mother didn't exist. As well as refilling some of her medication. But she didn't need to know that.

Yazaki had been desperate for another employee two years ago and I lied straight through my teeth. I lied about my age as well as the reason I desperately needed a job. I told her it was to help increase my education. She didn't question any part of my story and simply handed me checks at the end of each week. I worked seven days a week and had never skipped a day so she never hired another person. 

Every night exhaustion took a toll on my body, bags were a permanent resident beneath my eyes. My quirk kept me up most nights.

My quirk was named "Grave Robber" Not the sweetest of names but it is what it is. I could see souls or as some people liked to say, ghosts. There bodies looked the same as the day they died. So I was use to grotesque scenes all around me. But the wails of the souls that didn't know they were dead or would follow there living loved ones, it was heart breaking. Once they knew I could see them, many wouldn't leave me alone.

With seeing them, I could also see there quirk. Everyone had a unique title above them with the name of there quirk, unless if they were quirk less. But I could steal it for up to an hour.

I could only do this up to three times a day. With each time that I used it, side effects always kicked in.

I zoned out at the tile floor and the broom was held tightly in my hand.

"Asaka, why don't you go home early tonight?"

My head snapped up and she gave me a small smile as she rested her hip against the display case.

"It's really okay! Sweeping is just pretty mind numbing" I forced a chuckle out and she sighed.

"I agree with you there but sadly we have no customers." The bakery was empty and this was not a new occurrence as of late. Business seemed to be sinking the past couple of months and I could see it affecting the owner.

"Hopefully business picks up soon or I'll have to shut my doors" My eyes widened and she began to do the usual closing procedures. I could feel my hands shaking, I needed this job.

I placed the broom in the small utility closet and walked over to the front counter. "I can try to promote us, maybe we can make flyers or something"

She smiled and closed the register. "That's a great idea, tomorrow I'll print some out!"

I clocked out and grabbed my bag from the back room and placed my apron into the slowly disintegrating bag. I sighed as I saw a new tare. 

We both stepped out of the bakery and she locked the door. "Be safe on your way home"

"I will" I gave her a small wave and headed down the road. My pony tail was loosely falling out and I rubbed my tired eyes. I passed an electronics store and television's in the display area were still going off. An interview between an news anchor and a pro hero were being played.

"For all of the viewers watching, how is the life of a hero?"

The hero acted as if he were thinking about it and smugly grinned. "Well you never need to worry financially but the physical risk is what...."

I tuned out the rest and my eyes were trained on the hero. Is this my last resort? Becoming one of them? I tiredly shoved my hands into my pockets and continued to walk.

I wasn't a big fan of heroes to be honest. My mom was one before she became sick. She was a rescue hero that put her all into her job. But when she became sick they casted her aside like she was nothing. They didn't help with medical funds  and the small money she saved up was going fast. None of her old "friends" ever came around. They were a joke, all they cared about was themselves.

I looked at the pavement as my mind drifted to U.A.

It was close to the last day of school and they would be handing out papers for future schools. U.A would be among them and I sighed as my fate was taking a turn, one I didn't know if I wanted.