TWO

CHAPTER TWO
The Party

A FEW DAYS had gone by since the new kids had arrived and things weren't exactly letting up. Arlo had easily befriended Samuel and Nadia, but she still hadn't spoken a word to Christian.

That changed when Arlo was walking down the hall with her guitar case in one hand, her bag on her shoulders and some books in her other hand.

"Let me help you."

She looked to the side to see Christian next to her as he went to grab her guitar from her hands. Arlo smiled as she let him take it from her. "Oh, uh, thank you."

"Why do you have so much crap?" Christian laughed.

"I can't exactly fit the guitar in my locker, can I?" Arlo pointed out as she guided him to the room where she usually kept it before practice.

Christian nodded. "Fair point."

"How are you liking the school so far?"

"It's absolute gold." The boy praised. "Except for that asshole."

"You mean Guzmán?" Arlo wondered.

"That's the one. How long you known him?"

Arlo raised her eyebrows. "Pretty much my whole life."

Christian scoffed. "I think I'd kill myself."

The girl opened the room. "You can just put it here, thank you."

Christian gently put down the instrument, then looked back at her with furrowed eyebrows. "You haven't messed with us. Why?"

"Why would I?" Arlo shrugged. "I have nothing to gain if I did do it."

"So, what do you have to gain since you don't?"

"Maybe a few friends." The girl smiled.

Christian beamed down at her. "I like you." He then kissed her forehead and started backing out of the room, pointing at her.

Arlo laughed nervously as he walked away and she wiped her forehead with her blazer. She did not need a stranger's saliva on her head. She shut the door and began walking to her next class, holding her books to her chest.

Arlo turned the corner to see Guzmán talking to Nadia as she looked at the trophy. The girl squinted her eyes as Nadia walked away and Guzmán turned to Lu who frowned. The boy rolled his eyes at his girlfriend before he turned on his heel to see Arlo. He smiled genuinely instead of the forced one he flashed at Nadia. She had known him long enough to tell the difference– no matter how subtle it was. "Hi."

"Hey." Arlo nodded as she inhaled a sharp breath, pressing her lips together before she strode past him.

Guzmán opened his mouth to say something as he watched Arlo walk down the hallway. He grit his teeth, his fists clenching by his sides, the urge to hit the glass behind him building up. His friendship with Arlo had deteriorated over the years and he regretted that he let it happen.

Lu suddenly linked her arm around his. "Come on, sweetheart. We should head to class."

The morning had gone by quickly and before Arlo knew it, it was lunch and she was stood on the bridge next to Samuel eating an apple. "So, Marina told me she invited you to her party. Are you gonna go?"