NINETEEN

CHAPTER NINETEEN
In place

"HOW DID THEY find out?" Arlo asked as she sat next to Ander during their third period. The boy had just revealed that his parents had found out that he was gay but not from himself.

"My mom saw me and Omar together." Ander informed. "We weren't that discreet. I think my mom might talk to his father."

"Talk to him?" The girl echoed. "About what? Your mom won't be able to change his values and outlook."

"I know." Ander sighed. "But that's why she'll talk to him."

Arlo nodded before she inched closer to him. "And how are you doing now that they know? Are you okay?"

Ander smiled. "Yeah, yeah I am. I feel like this massive weight has been lifted off my shoulders."

"I'm glad." Arlo admitted.

"But at the same time, I think my dad felt a bit weird about it which isn't surprising to be honest. And I just really don't feel like going home to either of them later."

"You can come round mine if you want, Alma's making Nilaga."

"Then I'm definitely coming round. Anyways, what about you?" Ander wondered. "A little birdie told me you weren't feeling the best the other day."

"I wasn't." The girl admitted. "But I'm fine now. I swear."

"Well, it does look like you've gotten some sleep." The boy observed as he scanned her face. "You no longer look like The Walking Dead."

"Shut up." The girl retorted as she lightly pushed the boy's face.

"Hey, how was your guitar exam this morning?"

"It was actually good. I genuinely think it's the only one I feel confident that I did well in."

Ander smiled at her. "Good. I'm proud of you."

"Ander!" Christian greeted as he sat down in front of the two. He then looked at Arlo. "Gorgeous."

"Hey, Christian." Arlo smiled. "How's revision going? You ready for the exam later?"

"It's nice of you to assume that I've done any." Christian winked.

"Fair enough."

Christian beamed down at her "I'm only at this school for the social life."

"And how's that going?" Ander scoffed. "We're your only friends."

"It's about quality, champ, not quantity." Christian commented.

Arlo raised her fist in agreement. "Can't argue with that."

Christian gestured to her in victory. "See, I don't need to revise to be smart."

The girl laughed. "So how are things with you and Carla since her and Polo broke up?"

"Not where I want them to be, but...better."

"Bittersweet, then."

"How do you get rich girls to settle down?"

Arlo cocked her head to the side. "What do you mean?"

"How do you get out of the friend zone? I mean, I can't buy her anything that she doesn't already have. So what do I do?" Christian quizzed.

"I guess you just listen to her." Arlo shrugged. "Be there for her and then she'll realise the right guy was there all along. Boom. Out of the friend zone."