The Matthews Farm

The girls got up bright and early the next morning and quickly went about packing up the two vehicles while Hannah made breakfast. When they finished eating breakfast, Emily and the Tophams left. Nancy stayed a little longer to bid her family farewell before she and Helen took off.

"Oh wow, I can't believe it! We're actually going to the farm!"

Nancy glanced at her friend oddly before turning her attention back to the road. "You're the last person I thought would get excited about going to a farm."

"But this is the Matthews farm, grandma and Aunt Flora have been singing their praises for years! My father's bought products from them before, but he had to stop when his position moved into town. It just wasn't feasible at the time and, well, we haven't been there since."

Nancy nodded. "Makes sense." She thought a moment. "Do they accept impromptu orders?"

"Oh yes, but it all depends on what they have left over after taking care of their regulars. What are you thinking about?"

Nancy shot her a grin. "Oh, just that I might order extra since we are going to be staying at Twin Elms for a while. And they don't do deliveries, do they?"

"Well, mainly to the local groceries, their individual customers typically went out to the farm to get their orders themselves. My father said it was to spend some time with the family, but if that were the case, my mother wouldn't have that big of a problem heading out there herself." Helen paused. "Nancy?"

"Yeah?"

"You know, the more I think about it . . . I wonder if my mother had a crush on William Matthews. He got married a couple of years before my parents did."

Nancy raised an eyebrow. "Um, OK, I don't see how that's going to help your grandmother."

Helen waved her hand impatiently. "I know, I know, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. See, we haven't talked about the Matthews farm in forever, it seems. It's almost like an urban legend in my house."

"Well, we won't be able to stay long enough for you to find out." Nancy sighed. "But I'll keep my eyes and ears open, if you'd like."

Helen gave her a quick side hug. "Oh Nance, you're the best!"

"I try, and no guarantees. It probably would have been better if we talked to your mother."

Helen nodded. "True that, but thanks for keeping an eye out for any clues."

Nancy chuckled softly. "You're welcome." The girls switched talk to other things, mainly of what plans to make for when the Kovna family would arrive, plus what they would try to do with the rest of their summer.

Finally, Nancy pulled onto a dirt path that led to a nice-looking farmhouse. There were several children playing outside under the shade of a grove of trees with a couple of dogs. One of the children saw the incoming car, and with a yell, the entire group ran into the house. Nancy parked the car and the two got out.

"Why, it's rather quaint!" exclaimed Helen.

"Farms aren't all that bad, huh?" said Nancy with a twinkle in her eyes.

"Should we go in or wait here?" asked Helen.

Nancy bit her lip. "Um, I don't know, this is my first time, after all."

"Well, I feel awkward going into a house I haven't been invited into, so I'm waiting out here."

Nancy chuckled. "Probably a better idea." A strange sound caught their attention and, curious, they went to investigate. They walked past the house and went towards a fenced off area. As they got closer, Nancy realized it was someone singing, but in a language she had never heard before. They realized the sounds were coming from the barn and headed that way.