Another Threat

Nancy's eyes widened, as did Gomber's. They both narrowed their eyes.

"Miss Drew," he said icily.

"Mr. Gomber," she said equally as icily. "May I ask as to why you are here?"

"I was going to ask you the same thing," returned Gomber.

"I asked first," said Nancy. She crossed her arms. "You can answer first."

He shot her a cruel grin. "I came here to see if Mrs. Turnbull and Mrs. Hayes have considered my offer and are willing to sell."

"Funny thing, that," said Nancy. "Neither one are here, so they can't talk to you."

"What? Where could they have gone? What have you done to them?"

"Maybe you should talk to your partner about that. Ask him why he pushed Mrs. Hayes down the stairs and got her sent to the hospital."

Gomber's eyes widened for a brief second before he growled. "Are you accusing me of trying to scare those two into selling to me?"

"You tell me," was Nancy's reply. "Are you?"

"Your father sent you here to try and find something against me, huh? He's going to regret that." Gomber put a finger in her face. "And you'd better listen to me, if you don't quit your little investigation, you and your father are going to regret it. You understand?"

Nancy's eyes flashed. "I heard your threat, Mr. Gomber, now it's my turn. My father and I won't stand by while you hustle these two dear women into selling their house to you dirt cheap. I don't know the real reason why you want this house, but I will find out, and I will make sure you stay away from these women." She let out a soft growl. "Do I make myself clear?"

"Perfectly," growled Gomber. "But you better ask yourself if it's going to be worth it. I will get this house!"

"And I will see that you make it to jail," countered Nancy. Gomber let out a growl before turning and walking briskly away. Nancy didn't take her eyes off of him until he had left the road.

"Who was that?" asked Helen as Nancy closed the door.

"It was Nathan Gomber," replied Nancy between clenched teeth. "He told me I'd regret helping your grandmother and Aunt Flora!"

Helen's eyes widened. "What?"

Nancy pulled out her phone. "And I'd better warn Dad. I'm going to call Hannah too and let her know."

Helen nodded. "Good idea. I'll let Grandma know that Gomber was here." She pulled out her own phone and dialed her grandmother's number.

Nancy quickly typed out her text and sent it. She dialed her home phone. As she hoped, Hannah picked up. "Drew residence."

"Hey Hannah, it's Nancy."

"Nancy, darling! How's everything been at Twin Elms?" Nancy brought her up to date, ending with the just recently show off with Gomber. "Oh Nancy! That man sounds horrible! I think you should come home until your father gets back."

"Oh, but Hannah, I couldn't! They need me still! Besides, I couldn't leave Helen, Ida, and Izzy in the house by themselves. Plus, I think I'm getting very close to finding something. I can just feel it!"

"Oh, I do think you should come home," said Hannah. She let out a sigh. "But, maybe it would be better if you stayed there. I do expect you to come home when your father gets back."

"Oh don't worry, I will," said Nancy cheerily. "He came to Twin Elms to bid me goodbye, the least I can do is be home when he comes home. Unless he decides to come to Twin Elms on his way home."