A Sighting

Izzy came out the next moment. "Nancy, we need to get to the hospital!"

Emily covered her face with her hands. "Oh please God, not Grandma too!"

Nancy placed a hand on her shoulder. "Come on, the doctors will do all they can to save her. Let's just get going." Emily removed her hands from her tear-stained face and nodded. "Izzy, did you make sure the room was locked?"

Izzy nodded. "I did."

"Let's go." The three dashed down the stairs.

"My goodness, are you alright?" asked Jane when she saw them. "Emily!"

"Oh no Jane, this isn't for Mom, it's for Grandma," said Emily as more tears streamed down her face.

Jane's eyes widened and gasped. "Oh no!"

Izzy stepped forward. "They think she's going to be alright, but we do need to get Emily to the hospital right away."

"Then go. I'll get Mary to finish the master suite. Go take care of your grandma, Emily."

"Th-thank you," said Emily, giving her a quick hug. The three waved goodbye before racing out to Nancy's car and practically diving in. Nancy pulled out of the driveway and took off, heading towards the hospital.

"Did they say anything else besides that the ghost attacked Aunt Flora and they were taking her to the hospital?" asked Nancy.

"H-Helen just said to get there as quickly as possible," said Emily with a sniffle.

Izzy nodded. "Ida said the same thing."

"Well that's what we're doing," said Nancy as she turned at an intersection.

"Oh please be alright,' whispered Emily. Izzy placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. Emily grabbed her hand and squeezed it. The rest of the way silent, each praying that Flora would be alright. Helen and Ida met them at the entrance of the hospital.

"What exactly happened?" asked Nancy as they led them through the corridors.

Helen was pale. "Aunt, Aunt Flora wanted to go up to her room for a little nap. Grandma was going to go with her, but Aunt Flora said she wanted to try it by herself. She said she would call for us if she needed help. There was a little twinkle in her eye that suggested she had something up her sleeve and didn't want anyone else to know about, so Grandma let her. We stayed with Grandma in the sitting room. We wanted to see if we could find a secret passage while you were looking at Lilac Inn." Here Helen paused and let out a shaky breath.

Ida took up the narrative. "The next thing we heard was a cry from Aunt Flora. She had called out, 'Jed? Rosemary, he's wearing Jed's clothes!' Then we heard her scream and fall down the stairs. Aunt Rosemary went to take care of Aunt Flora while Helen and I dashed up the stairs, but we couldn't see anyone. That, and Aunt Rosemary was calling for us to help her get Aunt Flora to the hospital." Emily let out a soft cry.

Helen paused, turned, and placed her hands on her shoulders. "Emily, I think she's going to be alright."

"You think, you don't know for sure," said Emily as she continued to cry.

"But I do," said a voice. They turned. Rosemary was coming out of a room. She motioned to them. "She's going to be just fine. The doctor wants her to stay here for a few days." Emily rushed past her into the room. The others followed, and saw that Emily was hugging Flora while she laid in bed.

"Oh darling, don't cry, I'm alright. I told you I'm a little tougher than that."

Emily sniffled. "I, I know, but, but I was cleaning the master suite and when Emily called, I,I . . . I just assumed the worst!"